Informal poll on jalapeno poppers...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Do you cook them whole with stuffing or split them, dump the seeds and fill with a cheese mixture and then top with bacon?
I split, stuff with cheese mix and top each half with 1/4 slice of bacon.
My issue is that the bacon slides off the half peppers while roasting due to the tilt of the peppers.
I've come up with a simple solution, not tooth pics BTW, and am thinking about making and selling a tray or gizmo that prevents pepper tilting.
I'm going to make one for personal use, but if enough people could benefit from roasted pepper halves that stay horizontal during the cook, I could see about going into production.
It would be a pain in the gezunkus and I would much rather just buy the gizmo off Amazon but so far I can't find anything like what I want to build.

I always make boats and I'm pretty sure that I got the idea from thirdeye thirdeye in this thread...

So are you thinking of a horizontal rack maybe with ^ ^ ^ grooves to set the pepper halves in? I will make upright peppers, but use the sweet peppers not jalapenos.
78xCw8m.jpg
One thing you might try is pinning two halves together, I use turkey lacing pins. These peppers have cooked sausage and bacon mixed in with seasoning and cheese.
Fy19XWU.jpg
I use the same pins to make asparagus rafts for grilling.
rvxFYFS.jpg

Boat life. Not only easier to flip, but unless they're atypically mild, I find a whole jalapeno of that size overwhelming in terms of the flavor balance. thirdeye thirdeye - those look great.

Reactions: thirdeye
I do them both ways, I do boats for my son and whole for myself. The boats allow you to get all of the seeds out for a milder popper. For the boats, I pre cook some bacon and then break it into pieces and stick into the cream cheese mixture.

- Jason

I deconstruct mine.

Chop the jalapenos and lightly saute them in bacon grease.

I also add crumbled breakfast sausage.

Chopped and sauteed peppers.
Browned sausage.
Cream cheese.
Cheddar cheese.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Lightly cooked diced bacon.

Mix everything in a pan except the bacon.
Top with bacon.

Smoke or bake until done. About 20--30 minutes at 350-400 does it for me.

I can make a huge batch start to finish in less than an hour and it tastes just as good.

It's good with poblanos too

Do you cook them whole with stuffing or split them, dump the seeds and fill with a cheese mixture and then top with bacon?
I split, stuff with cheese mix and top each half with 1/4 slice of bacon.
My issue is that the bacon slides off the half peppers while roasting due to the tilt of the peppers.
I've come up with a simple solution, not tooth pics BTW, and am thinking about making and selling a tray or gizmo that prevents pepper tilting.
I'm going to make one for personal use, but if enough people could benefit from roasted pepper halves that stay horizontal during the cook, I could see about going into production.
It would be a pain in the gezunkus and I would much rather just buy the gizmo off Amazon but so far I can't find anything like what I want to build.

For simplicity I cut the tops off and carve out the seeds and veins leaving a whole hollow pepper like the empty one in this image i found on the web:
1662330180648.png

I then stuff with cream cheese or whatever filling and I lay a piece of bacon over the top of the hole so that the bacon drapes down 2 sides of the jalapeno.

Finally I double wooden kabob skewer them so they can be all be flipped with tons easily on the grill.

They are double skewered like this but imagine whole jalapenos with bacon draped over the hole:
1662330407144.png

So imagine the following picture with bacon over the hole jalapeno but then double skewered like the picture above:
1662330600884.png

I'll have to make some and takes some pics.
Having the bacon over the top of the whole helps hold in cream cheese from bubbling out and the double skewer means they dont rotate on the skewers and i can flip 5-8 jalapenos at a time.

3 skewers on the grill that can easily flip and wont leak is like the holy grail for these things, and I have a method for achieving that :D

I hope this info helps :)

I switched to boat style quite awhile ago. I half and see them, fill with a blend of browned sauce and cheddar with just enough cream cheese to make it sticky. Each is wrapped in a whole slice of bacon. Here’s 10 dozen rolling that I knocked out yesterday.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
I bought a SS stand up rack to set on my grill with 36 holes in it quite a few years ago at Bass Pro when they were on sale for $8.99. I used a large hole punch to make about half of the of the holes larger for bigger peppers. It has gotten a lot of use.

I cut the tops off the peppers and core out with the little tool that came with it to stuff with cheese, bacon bits, pork butt, brisket, etc. I do put some seeds back in with the stuffing at times. For peppers that are too short to stand up, I put a tooth pick about a quarter inch down from the top to hold them in place and not fall through.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky