Inexpensive Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
My wife and I came down with a cold or flu (Covid tests were negative) after visiting our kids and grandkids weekend before last. Typical kid brings home germs from school situation. That meant easy, no effort dinners while we were feeling bad.

After using up quick stuff in the freezer, I made turkey-meat Sloppy Joes (no pics, recipe available upon request). I needed burger buns but was not feeling up to making sawhorseray sawhorseray recipe. Wife likes whole grain. Donned a mask and paid $7.50 for 8 buns at a local grocery just down the street. Felt robbed.

Flash forward a few days. Turkey burgers were next. Ate the last two gold-plated bandit buns and decided to make my own whole wheat buns for a fraction of the cost. We still had six burgers in the fridge. I adapted one of my bread recipes to make the buns. Total time involved from start to finish was a little under 4 hours. Total cost about $1.

After the initial rise, weighed and shaped for the second rise.
20221020_121430.jpg

Second rise complete. Egg washed. Flax seeds and rolled oats added.

20221020_133704.jpg

18 minute bake and fresh out of the oven.

20221020_135751.jpg

No more mega-expensive store-bought buns. Thanks to sawhorseray sawhorseray for the inspiration!

Ray

Ray's Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

Can be done, start to finish, in a morning or afternoon.

Makes six big buns, eight smaller buns.

Ingredients
Dry ingredients:
215g KA AP flour
210g KA Whole Wheat flour
10g milk powder
7-8g salt
6g granulated sugar (does not count as a dry ingredient for baker's math)

Liquid: 75% hydration = 325g which is
50g eggs
35g honey
10g lemon juice
230g water

5g active dry yeast

Topping ingredients:
1 egg
1 Tbs water
Flax seeds
Sunflower kernals or rolled oats

Makes 6‐8 buns, depending on how many needed.

Directions

Pre-bake prep.
-Set oven rack to medium level.
-Prep the outside bottom of the KitchenAid bowl with light oil so it won't seize to the machine after the kneading.
-Pull 1 large egg from the fridge. Crack the egg into the small bowl. Place that bowl into a larger one and add some hot water to the larger bowl to warm, but not cook, the egg. Set aside.
-Melt 1 Tbs butter and set aside.

Dry Ingredients: In KA mixing bowl with paddle attachment, add dry ingredients:
Combine dry ingredients on low setting with scrapping paddle attachment, not bread hook.

Wet and Dissolved Ingredients:
1 large egg (50g), room temp, (prepped and set aside)

35g honey and 230g water in a microwave safe measuring cup. Heat 30 sec in microwave. Stir to mix. Check temp is below 115°F. Allow to cool if not.

Add 5g active dry yeast to water. Stir to dissolve.

Change to dough hook on the mixer. With mixer on low, slowly add water/honey/yeast mixture. Then one egg. Finally add the lemon juice.

Knead on level 2 for 1 minute, then bump to level 4 for 6-10 minutes until a smooth ball forms and the bottom of the doughball releases from the bottom of the bowl (trust me, it will).

Remove the dough hook. Add the 1 Tbs of melted butter to coat the dough ball and mixing bowl. Turn the ball to coat completely.

If room temp 70-75°F or above, bulk ferment on the countertop. Cover mixing bowl with cling wrap and a kitchen towel. If kitchen is cooler than above, bulk ferment in the cold oven with the light on. Proof until doubled in size, about 90 to 120 minutes.

Once proofed, gently spread dough on an AP floured work surface to degas with fingers and form into a large rectangle. Spread any butter left in the bowl evenly on the rectangle of dough. Fold and lightly knead a few times to incorporate the butter into the dough.

Roll the dough into a rectangle. Divide into 6-8 pieces. Weigh each to get each as even as possible.

Tuck each piece, then mold into a ball with a cupped hand on the surface.

Place dough ball seam side down on a half-sheet pan with parchment paper.

Proof covered on the countertop or in cold oven for 75-120 minutes until double in size. The buns will rise a little more in the bake. Do not over-proof or the dough will collapse when baked.

Preheat the oven to 375°F (385°F my oven). Adjust up or down based on the performance of your oven.

Break an egg into a small bowl with 1 Tbs of water. Mix. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash on each bun. Sprinkle the topping on each bun.

Bake for 18-20 mins, or until internal temp is 195°-205°F.

Remove from the oven and the sheet pan. Cool completely on a rack before slicing. Bag buns once cool.

Last edited:
Those look fantastic . I second the shout out for Ray's buns .
Thanks, Rich. He was truly my inspiration. I believe I may have made hamburger buns previously, but there's no recipe in any of my files, so this may have been a first.

Beautiful looking buns!! Bet they tasted way better than the store bought ones too!!

Thanks, tbern! Time will tell on the taste. They are still cooling and dinner is 3 hours away. I adapted a same-day whole-wheat bread recipe I created with the intention of making these a little softer and sweeter. We'll see!

That looks great. You should edit it and add the yeast to the ingredients list, I sat and stared at it when I imported it into Paprika wondering if it was sourdough or something :)

I'm going to make these soon.

Reactions: noboundaries
That looks great. You should edit it and add the yeast to the ingredients list, I sat and stared at it when I imported it into Paprika wondering if it was sourdough or something :)

I'm going to make these soon.
Thanks, Loyd. I made the edit you suggested.

Enjoy when you make them. They are easy.

Ray

We had a baker named Betty at the camp I used to work at. Best homemade buns ever. I wanted to get a logo made for t-shirts that said, “Betty’s Buns” with the tag line “Big, White & Warm” but the director never liked my idea. I think we would have sold a lot of shirts. Haha!

We had a baker named Betty at the camp I used to work at. Best homemade buns ever. I wanted to get a logo made for t-shirts that said, “Betty’s Buns” with the tag line “Big, White & Warm” but the director never liked my idea. I think we would have sold a lot of shirts. Haha!
Great story, Sven!

Our 5-6 oz burgers were a bit small for these big buns. The buns were delicious but needed a good 8-10 oz burger. Making 8 buns from the recipe instead of six would have been perfect. These buns were 300 cals each. 8 buns would have been 225 cals each.

Very nice looking buns! Thank you for sharing the recipe and a process.... Bookmarked...

Thanks Push! Sharing recipes and the process is what we do.

Thanks for the shout-out Ray, those buns look great! I make six that size and I want a 11-12 ounce patty with bacon to go on it, no room for fries anymore, but there was a time. RAY

Reactions: noboundaries
Thanks for the shout-out Ray, those buns look great! I make six that size and I want a 11-12 ounce patty with bacon to go on it, no room for fries anymore, but there was a time. RAY
Thanks, RAY. Big burgers for big buns. Your post inspired me. Many, many thanks!

Nice buns!
Thanks, Brian. They were WAAAAY better than the high-priced ones.

Nice post and I heard that sawhorseray sawhorseray , Ray had great buns

Now I see it is true and you do also

David

Thanks, David. I guess RAY and I are bun buddies!

Ray

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky