Increasing smoke flavor on a pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larryb

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Chesapeake, VA
I have been using electric smokers for the past 15 years. want to move up to a pellet grill to SMOKE ONLY. I would like comments on what pellet smoker/grill your own & use and if you have started using an additional smoke generator (tube, add on gadget etc) to get the wood smoke flavor you were looking for.

thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
The amount of smoke flavor is highly subjective since it depends on the individual. I've been using a pellet smoker since 2014 and generally find the amount more than sufficient for most occasions. Too much smoke clouds the meat flavor completely. Thin blue smoke is your friend vs large quantities of billowing white (not good eats). On very rare occasions I've added a smoker tube with pellets to slightly bump the amount the first 4 hours of a long brisket smoke. Most briskets I don't use it.

Reactions: chopsaw
The amount of smoke flavor is highly subjective since it depends on the individual. I've been using a pellet smoker since 2014 and generally find the amount more than sufficient for most occasions. Too much smoke clouds the meat flavor completely. Thin blue smoke is your friend vs large quantities of billowing white (not good eats). On very rare occasions I've added a smoker tube with pellets to slightly bump the amount the first 4 hours of a long brisket smoke. Most briskets I don't use it.
Thanks, what smoker do you use?

I have a pitboss 1000, I use a smoke tube for smoke, without it I get very little smoke flavor, I get much better smoke flavor with my mes 30, thought pellet smokers was a step up to but personally I dont think so. But there are lots of people here that love there pellets smokers.

A few variables to contend with in regards to the amount of smoke. Smoker itself, actual temp being used and brand of pellets. Then of course there is combining variables to consider output ie certain pellet brands in certain smokers. In 7 years using the MAK I've settled in on BBQ'rs Delight pellets which have proven (to me anyhow) to be the best at providing good TBS (thin blue smoke) and the least ash residue. YMMV

A few variables to contend with in regards to the amount of smoke. Smoker itself, actual temp being used and brand of pellets. Then of course there is combining variables to consider output ie certain pellet brands in certain smokers. In 7 years using the MAK I've settled in on BBQ'rs Delight pellets which have proven (to me anyhow) to be the best at providing good TBS (thin blue smoke) and the least ash residue. YMMV
MAK?

I have a pitboss 1000, I use a smoke tube for smoke, without it I get very little smoke flavor, I get much better smoke flavor with my mes 30, thought pellet smokers was a step up to but personally I dont think so. But there are lots of people here that love there pellets smokers.
yeah, I have had 3. ES over the past 15 years, great flavor. I bought the cold smoke attachment, so I could ignore it for several hours at a time. just sold my 5 year old 40 inch. MES. looking to try pellets. thanks for the info.

I use a rec tec and like the smoke flavor level without an added tube. I use lumberjack competition blend. the pellets do matter...i tried a few before finding what I liked. also - some/most pellet grill have a high smoke setting, usually the lowest temp. mine is 180/extreme smoke. if I want to give what ever a stronger smoke for an hour or two i start at 180 then go to the full cook temp till done.

Reactions: schlotz
I use a rec tec and like the smoke flavor level without an added tube. I use lumberjack competition blend. the pellets do matter...i tried a few before finding what I liked. also - some/most pellet grill have a high smoke setting, usually the lowest temp. mine is 180/extreme smoke. if I want to give what ever a stronger smoke for an hour or two i start at 180 then go to the full cook temp till done.
thanks for the info

I have a Recteq 700 and an AMZN tube. I've been using Lumberjack competition blend pellets with the Smoke Daddy charcoal pellets mixed in (3:1 wood to charcoal). Love the results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky