Increase Propane smoker heat output

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bodra

Original poster
Feb 17, 2020
i have a vertical Smoke Forge from Lowes , its great smoker, but no insulation for the body and only 15,000 BTU burner.

i tried it fully loaded with 40lbs of beef ribs on a -2 Celsius weather and i couldn't get it over 180F with the highest flame for over 6 hours.

i am thinking about drilling the orifice using the 1/16 drill size to increase heat output to the 27,286 BTU, following this guidance on orifice sizes for propane https://ssl.ca/wp-content/themes/sinclair-supply/pdf/Gas-Orifice-Capacity-Chart.pdf

any ideas, advices or recommendation? i am a bit worried that the burner overheats as i am almost doubling its heat output

Welding blanket from Harbor Freight will do wonders. Also give plenty of pre-heat time for the cooker. 40# of cold meat is a lot to over come for most pits.

Reactions: Bodra and buzzy
X2 on the moving blanket, its more than drilling the orifice, if the throat of the burner cant pull enuff air in it will burn yellow and dirty, much easier to wrap a blanket around it and secure with a couple of bungie cords imo

Yes of the welding blanket thoughts... 40#'s of meat is SUCKING up BTU's like crazy... As the meat heats up, moisture is released and that lowers the meat temps also... As the meat sweats, it act as a coolant just like when you sweat it cools you...
Once smoke is added, your kitchen oven will work perfect for finishing the cook... I do that VERY often... It's made for cooking food....

Reactions: Bodra
Many thanks guys! i would also think adding chunks of charcoal in the wood chip box to increase heat , rather than fiddling with the orifice, any thoughts..?

Yes of the welding blanket thoughts... 40#'s of meat is SUCKING up BTU's like crazy... As the meat heats up, moisture is released and that lowers the meat temps also... As the meat sweats, it act as a coolant just like when you sweat it cools you...
Once smoke is added, your kitchen oven will work perfect for finishing the cook... I do that VERY often... It's made for cooking food....

my wife will mock my walk of shame holding these racks out of the smoker to the oven! i WILL NOT DO THAT! :D

Reactions: Duncwood
Oh here is the solution that really did it, get a 6x8ft welding blanket, wraped it around the smoker, cut holes for ventilation and screwed back the handles and all fixtures again over the double layered welding blanket.

Attachments

• 20201009_150229.jpg
    20201009_150229.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201009_150237.jpg
    20201009_150237.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201009_150234.jpg
    20201009_150234.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201009_150224.jpg
    20201009_150224.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: daveomak
in my smoke hollow 44 some times i dont even use the propane just load bigger smoke trays with lump charcoal.. now that with the propane will get ya there

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky