In need of help; PLEASE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the leprechaun

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Greetings from Ireland. My name is Lance and I live in Co.Donegal.

Six months of reading fantastic recipes, looking with envey at the smokers and all that I can do is is drool at the mouth and imagine the taste, the tailgateing at football games, the BBQs and all the fun that goes with it all. Now here is my problem...NO SMOKER.

I have tried get one from Amazon UK who say that they will ship to Ireland...but will not.

I have also e.mailed all the sites that arrive with Jeff's recipes news letter most do not reply and of those that do.. no shipping to Ireland. Is there light at the end of the tunnel. Is there a very kind person to help me out. Maybe plans on how to build one (2x2x5 tall), or a company that ships to Ireland. The river at the end of my garden is full of Atlantic Salmon and the season starts in 6 weeks time. The hills around my village are covered with deer.

I have no problem with giving my home address, phone number, skyp address or e.mail address.

Please help.

Welcome to SMF!

If you go to the forum tab there are is an area for smoking equipment. In there are tons of plans and builds you can do for a fair price. There are several made from wood, food grade barrels (UDS) and even as far as a reverse flow smoker. If you have the patcients an some basic handyman skills or access to a welder you can create your own smoker.....and have the pleasure of smoking in something you built and or designed.......

A smoker is a ventilated container with a source of cool smoke and when needed, a source of heat, Every country has them and the designs are only limited by your imagination. Like I mentioned before, I've seen a 1947 Chevy used as a smoker with the fire box being in the trunk.

Last edited:
Not up on metric measurements but if you can get a 55 gallon steel drum you can make a great smoker at a very good price. Search , UDS plans .

there's gotta be a way to get you smoking-cold smoker can be made from something as simple as a cardboard box, hot smoker with bricks or rocks if you put your mind to it. What kinda smoker that you see in your searches would work best for ya Lance? Also do you have access to coal and or wood for fuel? or is electric-gas gonna work better? if electric with there be a power problem? Once you get things figured out send me a PM (once you have enough posts) and I will be glad to help out on my end as much as I can. what kinda woods do you have there for smoking? Glad to have ya here and I feel your pain buddy.

You can exchange phones email etc via a private message and the greater internet will not see it. Click on the persons avatar to go to their page. There's an icon for private message.

jarjarchef is right, the construction sections have great pictures of builds step by step. Even if you're not a welder I'm sure you could print out the threads with a design you like and take them to a local welder and be in business in no time.

Meny thanks.

Jarjarchef; a mountin of information. Txs. At my age 63 today and no welder, would sooner try and get one shiped out.

Linguica; pity, no Chevy's in Ireland. Only horse drawn wheel barrows. Any ideas?

Eman; txs.

Desertlites; txs. Will PM you after my birthday drinks, normaly 24 hours. It started at midnight. Now 01.59 20th Jan in Ireland.

BadmoonT2; txs, taken on board.

Very helpfull. A visit to U.S.A to visit some of you guys has now been added to the bucket list, with a bit of luck the 'Pack' might playing near by. Sorry I'm a cheese head.

Cut the top off of a wine barrel about 10 inches from the top, line the bottom with brick. A few inches below the top rim of the bottom 1/2, drill holes through the sides and use eye bolts as rests for a round grill grate. Load it up with coals, put the meat on and cover with the cut off lid. Use the bung hole as a release for the smoke. enjoy.

Last edited:
Greetings from down under,hell of a lot of Irish youngsters here at the moment,working , shagging,getting sunburnt,drinking beer.

I think the wine barrel or whisky barrel for that matter is a good idea, dont need to many tools oak always a good traditional material. If you want to run it hotter go to steel. Beer kegs adapt pretty well but then you have to go to oxy acetylene or similiar to cut them. I cant weld either.

Here is a cold smoker I built. I use it to smoke cheese, barley and I plan on trying bacon in it. I am sure they have cardboard boxes in Ireland.
biggrin.gif

I also built the smoking device copying Todd's design.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106739/smokin-barley-in-a-cardboard-box

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky