In ground smoke house???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sherman Smith

Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
I smoke meat all the time on my Oklahoma Joe and Gas master built, but have never had any dealings with a smoke house, I have recently started processing my own deer and pigs and am wanting to get a full blown smoke house. I have a storm shelter that is in the side of a hill that is covered with dirt on 3 sides and dirt with 6" of concrete on the roof, it has a 18" escape pipe going thru the roof with a water proof lid on it, the door side is the only exposed side. It is made out of 1/2" plate all the way around including the floor, it is roughly 6'x6'x7'. If it would work I am wanting to install a fire box made out of 20" pipe on the door side (directly connected or a couple feet away, don't know yet) for heat and smoke and install a chimney in the escape lid. I will only be able to get the heat input about 18" from the floor though. There is plenty room to install some vents on the door side if needed. What do ya'll think?

Don't see why it wouldn't work as long as your chimney can pull enough draft and fire box can produce enough heat if you are planning on some hot smokes.

Traditional smoke houses had dirt floors that were 12 to 36 below ground. The fire box was three or more feet away, far enough for the smoke to cool. There are a couple of YouTube videos showing how folks in NC smoke hams using traditional methods and smoke houses.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky