In A Pickle And Need SMF's Help/Thoughts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
So I have 10 lbs of bacon done curing (this past Sat.)... Rinsed off and fry test... Perfect on salt (1.5%) ... Spiced up and back in the fridge to dry/form pellicle... Last night started to get things around for cold smoking... OHH NOOOO... NO PELLETS ...

So I quick went to the Pit Boss site and ordered some A-Maze-N brand pellets... 7-10 days out they are... Starting Thurs. I will be working 12.5 hr days for about 7 days straight...

So the question is... Vac Seal the belly and back in fridge.... Leave sit out and in fridge ... or vac seal and freeze until I can get back to smoke them ??

If it's eq cured then just leave in the fridge vac sealed. That's what I would do.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Yup dry eq cured is what I do with my bacons. I have left them for a month and it's been good

Yep. Just put back in a bag and smoke when the pellets arrive. You have 30-35 days with cure #1.......
I wouldn’t.
I did some thick ham steaks for Easter. These were 1.5% salt and I got a little ahead of myself on the cure time. All in curing, smoking and resting they were 25 days in refrigeration and bagged. (These were dry cured) They molded and started to get funky. Some yeast I’m thinking because they were just a tad slimy.

If I were you Kieth, I would freeze then smoke when you have time. 1.5% salt just isn’t enough of a hurdle for long refrigeration time. This is just my experience.

indaswamp indaswamp
In the open air in the fridge, no bag, is a different story. That produces a bit of a funky dry age flavor with no mold issues for me, but that is a much different flavor profile for most folks. The surface drying is key for long refrigeration time. In a bag is no good long term at that salt percentage.

Reactions: indaswamp
Might be ok... Pit Boss/Fed Ex is saying Fri for the Pecan pellets but no word on the Pit Masters Choice... which is what I had planned on using originally ...

You’ve some awesome advise on this thread and thanks for posting as I would not have known what to do in your situation!

That being said, pecan is awesome smoke… one of my favs!

You’ve some awesome advise on this thread and thanks for posting as I would not have known what to do in your situation!

That being said, pecan is awesome smoke… one of my favs!
Absolutely, this forum is so awesome with how so many people jump in and help others out, love it!!

I agree... This is exactly why this Site is the only kind of social media I do... No BS.. No Drama .. No so many things...

That being said ... Sometimes I get confused on the so many different techniques offered ...

Let me ask another question ... Anything I've ever put in a bag develops moisture... Will this ruin the pellicle it has developed already ??

Having never done what you're fixing to do, I don't know. I suspect you will have to let it sit in the fridge unwrapped again when you are ready to smoke it, though.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky