Image storing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
I just loaded an image from PhotoBucket and it is now in my default photo album. I also loaded some pics from my PC, which ended up in the same album. I deleted those pics from my PC, and they're still in the album.
My question is, once pics are linked from PhotoBucket can we choose to have them stored in our photo albums. This would allow us to delete them from an image host site, and not have a need for a link source. Just a thought.

Thanks

I am pretty sure that all linked images will need to remain on the host site. It is just pulling the image from the host site and not actually storing it on the server.

Uploading pictures from your PC on the other hand, stores the images on the server.

You could go through your posts and edit them so that the pictures are uploaded to the server rather than just linked but I am thinking this would be a lot of work.

If it were me, I would leave the ones that are now linked alone and just upload them from your PC going forward.

That was my determinatiion, aside from all the downloading from an image host. Thanks for the time.

Huddler answer:

Actually, as it turns out, both images which are uploaded and embedded from your computer as well as the ones you embed from another image URL (like Photobucket or anywhere else) are stored on our servers. All images will by default be uploaded to your Default album on your user profile. From there, you can organize them into other albums.

So when you are embedding an image into your post from Photobucket, the post actually isn't linking to Photobucket anymore but instead is showing the image which has been uploaded to SMF. This won't apply for images you've linked prior to the conversion, but it will apply for all images afterwards.

Jeff I went to the "organize" the albums but I didn't see how or a button to move them from album to album and it only opened one album at a time

I did do the drag and drop as you told us Rich but if you hadn't told us how would we have known? How are some of our members gonna figure it out?

It's just another undocumented find, but it needs to be documented. I use to run into this when I worked for some software companies. Once we go live, I can create a tutorial if Huddler hasn't updated thier tutorials.This should be their puppy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky