Im an Idiot, rookie mistake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirdbogbbq

Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Ontario Canada
So I was following Bear Carvers recipe for Smoked Salmon recipe and instead of brining the salmon for 6 hours as called for I forgot to take it out and left it in all night...15 hours.....

Two questions, is my salmon going to be ruined and....... how crucial is it to let it dry to form pellicle because I was planning to smoke it today, should i wait till tomorrow??

The fish is about 3/4 of an inch thick...........

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to 'yall........do you believe Thanksgiving in Canada is NOT a holiday

So I was following Bear Carvers recipe for Smoked Salmon recipe and instead of brining the salmon for 6 hours as called for I forgot to take it out and left it in all night...15 hours.....

Two questions, is my salmon going to be ruined and....... how crucial is it to let it dry to form pellicle because I was planning to smoke it today, should i wait till tomorrow??
Going to be to salty......You need to add the step called Freshening.

Place the salmon in ice water for two hours, then proceed as normal.  Try and get at least one hour to form pellicle.  But you can skip this step entirely if time requires it.  It will change the mouth feel a little, but not the flavor profile.

Last edited:
BearCarver should respond to this post but as far as brining too long you should look at the texture of the fish.  If too mushy or discolored I would consider not going any further with it but I do not expect you to have any problems as long as the fish was in the fridge.  

To hasten the pellicle, pat the fish dry with paper towels and place in front of a fan.  You should feel the surface of the fish get a bit tacky in about an hour.  It would be better to keep the fish cool.  If you are doing a hot smoke you shouldn't have any trouble but make a real effort to get the outside of the fish up to 140 before 4 hours.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky