Ignitor Problem?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Panthers59

Original poster
May 13, 2018
WNC/SE Ga.
I have a Pit Boss 820 for about 4.5 yrs now and had to replace the ignitor BUT the new one from Danson lasted 1 cook on some steaks and won't light now and it was a plug and play pretty simple replacement is it a bad unit or am I missing something?

I would re-check the connection to make sure it didn't come disconnected somehow.

If it is, run it without any food in it and make sure the auger is turning, the fan is running and if you are feeling any heat at all coming from the ignitor just as a checklist for the main components.

Thanks for the reply...Yes it won't get hot you can see a new one turn cherry red and I even stuck a paper towel to it and nothing?..The auger is feeding as it should and fan is running as well maybe i just got a bad unit Idk?

I am wondering if you just got a bad ignitor.. unless they are ceramic, they won't last forever. Sounds like you got about 4 + years out of the first one which is pretty good.

If I had to guess I'd say the new ignitor was a dud.. maybe Dansons will replace it on warranty since you just bought it?

That's what I'm thinking the factory unit was ceramic and I have one otw from Amazon so we'll see pretty soon and yeah I'm a all weather griller since i bought the PB I've cooked an average of 2 nights a week so no complaints here. I'll post the next results when I get it installed sometime later this week.

Last edited:
Make sure it's not too far out or too far into the crucible cup. Some don't like being clamped too close to either end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky