If you had 10lbs of bone-in shoulder....what would you make with it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It isn't hard to debone for BBB. However, all the other suggestions are great too!
Oldfatguy!?!

I watched your BBB Youtube video and loved it! Didn't expect to get a response from you! Great content. Is there anything to gain from doing a dry cure like you did vs. a wet cure?

Thank you very much to all the great responses and ideas by the way, awesome feedback. I love pulled pork but I think at this point I'm going to try the Buckboard as I've never done it and bacon always goes FAST in my house. It just makes sense knowing what you pay for pork bellies otherwise.

Oldfatguy!?!

I watched your BBB Youtube video and loved it! Didn't expect to get a response from you! Great content. Is there anything to gain from doing a dry cure like you did vs. a wet cure?

Thank you very much to all the great responses and ideas by the way, awesome feedback. I love pulled pork but I think at this point I'm going to try the Buckboard as I've never done it and bacon always goes FAST in my house. It just makes sense knowing what you pay for pork bellies otherwise.
Wet versus dry is like boxers versus shorts. It depends what you like. Both do a great job of bacon (dry versus wet, not the underwear comparison). I find a very minor texture difference and like the texture of dry just a touch more for bacon but I use a brine for loin ham and bacon on a stick. Another advantage of dry is that it uses way less ingredients than wet, but pink salt, brown sugar and kosher salt aren't particularly expensive.

If anyone told you they liked wet brine better than dry for bacon I wouldn't argue with them. Many who wet cure say they find it easier but I don't particularly find that. I tried both when I was starting and landed on dry for me but loved my wet cured bacon too. I suggest you try both and pick your poison.

Reactions: mrsmoklestein
Oldfatguy!?!

By the way, thanks for the kind words on the video.

Wet versus dry is like boxers versus shorts. It depends what you like. Both do a great job of bacon (dry versus wet, not the underwear comparison). I find a very minor texture difference and like the texture of dry just a touch more for bacon but I use a brine for loin ham and bacon on a stick. Another advantage of dry is that it uses way less ingredients than wet, but pink salt, brown sugar and kosher salt aren't particularly expensive.

If anyone told you they liked wet brine better than dry for bacon I wouldn't argue with them. Many who wet cure say they find it easier but I don't particularly find that. I tried both when I was starting and landed on dry for me but loved my wet cured bacon too. I suggest you try both and pick your poison.

Sounds like a plan, I think I might try the wet cure to start and see how it turns out.

Last question for you: Does it matter which direction you slice? Against the grain or with?

Sounds like a plan, I think I might try the wet cure to start and see how it turns out.

Last question for you: Does it matter which direction you slice? Against the grain or with?
Yes. Against the grain gives a better bacon but that is hard to do with a butt. The different parts of the joint have grains that run in different directions. Just cut it as much against the grain as possible. You will find small pieces on your slices that will end up being the grain but they will be fine. The slices that run with the grain are just a bit chewier.

For a few different ideas other than PP and sausage which are great uses. Cube some of it up to make Souvlaki, Use some as ground for different recipes like meat balls ( spicy) mix with other meats to do hand rolled sausage like Mititei, (Romanian Great stuff ), Braised or Al Pastor, Cuban sandwiches are great, and of course a smoked/ grilled butt steak. Mmmm mmmm.

For a few different ideas other than PP and sausage which are great uses. Cube some of it up to make Souvlaki, Use some as ground for different recipes like meat balls ( spicy) mix with other meats to do hand rolled sausage like Mititei, (Romanian Great stuff ), Braised or Al Pastor, Cuban sandwiches are great, and of course a smoked/ grilled butt steak. Mmmm mmmm.
I love these ideas! Char Siu pork is also great!

Sausage: Cheese and parsley sausage with minced garlic
Ham: Cottage Roll
Bacon: Buckboard
Ribs: Boneless western ribs
Other: Carnitas

Touche' Bear and not lazy at all. To me it goes without saying, you should ALWAYS have some PP frozen and vac sealed when the need arises. From there, you can get creative and try new things when butts are cheap and you wanna try new stuff. It's INSANELY cool when the family says "I am in the mood for some pulled pork" and you can just whip out a pound or 2 and heat and serve on a moments notice. Anymore, the same applies to smoked chuckies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky