If you could choose one smoker....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
I’m sure this may have been discussed in this site at some point, but I’m curious to see some opinions with all the different types of smokers out there. Which one would you choose and why? I currently have a pellet smoker and really like it, but space is an issuer if smoking for a large get together. Thanks!

Reactions: Richard Foster
I have a Yoder YS640. It does a get job on everything I have cooked from smoked salmon the Jaliso-style goat stew. And for large cooks I fit 7 10+ pounds of pork butts on it at once. I am very please with my purchase after 1 1/2 years.

After doing much research, I finally purchased a Stump's Baby. I can do 6 pork shoulders in it at one time. It has made my BBQ cooks much more professional and predictable. It is also insulated so I can use it in the winter.

It would be hard to convince me that any smoker is better.

My gravity fed hands down. Space for days, runs forever on a single bag of charcoal, with the fireboard/fan it heats up fast, recovers quickly, and maintains like an over. Price tag hurts, but so worth it.

After my GF, I'd probably say the WSM. It's highly modable, has a good amount of space, is extremely beginner friendly but has room to use more advanced techniques.

Reactions: JC in GB
I would have to agree - once you hit a budget threshold, the quality seems to be similar and the variations come down to budget, warranty, options, and preferences.

Below that threshold quality and consistency is more of an issue.

I love my WSM. That said, if I'm ever in the market for another smoker, I'd buy a cabinet type. It's versatile, insulated, and can use wood, charcoal, or a combination of them both. Vertical smokers are the most fuel efficient and don't take up much space. Pretty hands-off, too. They are pricey, 4x the cost of a WSM, but dang I want one.

"...space is an issue" Can we get a bit more detail regarding this? How many is a large get together? What proteins would you be smoking?

"...space is an issue" Can we get a bit more detail regarding this? How many is a large get together? What proteins would you be smoking?

For instance. This past weekend I hosted a smoke off at my place with a bunch of buddies who enjoy smoking and about 50 people. There were two categories, ribs, and smokers choice. I did 4 racks of baby backs and that took up my entire grill so I couldn’t even enter the other category. And the 4 racks take THE ENTIRE GRILL. I’ve done this amount many times before and would like more room. I currently have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE 24 which has 480 sq inches. It has no second rack or anything. I love the smoker, it is perfect amount of space 90% of the time. I’m just being picky and thinking ahead at my next smoker.

BTW I won the rib category using Al’s method. Never fails. The other bozos were running around frantically the whole time and I sat on my lawn chair drinking beer with full confidence haha.

For instance. This past weekend I hosted a smoke off at my place with a bunch of buddies who enjoy smoking and about 50 people. There were two categories, ribs, and smokers choice. I did 4 racks of baby backs and that took up my entire grill so I couldn’t even enter the other category. And the 4 racks take THE ENTIRE GRILL. I’ve done this amount many times before and would like more room. I currently have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE 24 which has 480 sq inches. It has no second rack or anything. I love the smoker, it is perfect amount of space 90% of the time. I’m just being picky and thinking ahead at my next smoker.

BTW I won the rib category using Al’s method. Never fails. The other bozos were running around frantically the whole time and I sat on my lawn chair drinking beer with full confidence haha.

Now that does sound like a lot of fun! Depending on what you might be interested in for example, my MAK 2 Star has a total of 858 sq inches. 429 main grate and 429 top grate. Top grate is removable as well. Best way to purchase them is to buy the full second grate and use it on the bottom and then you have the two half grate bottoms for the top. You can just use one which gives more access to whatever is on the bottom or use both and load 'er up!

Now that does sound like a lot of fun! Depending on what you might be interested in for example, my MAK 2 Star has a total of 858 sq inches. 429 main grate and 429 top grate. Top grate is removable as well. Best way to purchase them is to buy the full second grate and use it on the bottom and then you have the two half grate bottoms for the top. You can just use one which gives more access to whatever is on the bottom or use both and load 'er up!

I’m surprised mine didn’t come with an upper grate. There are no rests up there even if I did buy it separate. I’d love to figure out a way to get one in there though. Part of my problem would be solved.

My first smoker was a Bradley 4 shelf digital electric smoker. I don’t use the Bradley flavored pucks anymore. Just the Amazen smoke tube. The Bradley has limitations. I was new to smoking.

My next smoker will be a “Smoke-It” Smoker. stainless steel cabinet, built solid. Not cheap. They make many different models and sizes.

I’m surprised mine didn’t come with an upper grate. There are no rests up there even if I did buy it separate. I’d love to figure out a way to get one in there though. Part of my problem would be solved.

If by 'mine' you mean an older MAK then there was a stand alone full grate add on for it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky