If not broke don't muck with it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

macdoesit

Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Decided I would change my smoking method.
3 briskets with rub and in smoker at 225 with a probe that I never use, till it reached 165, wrapped in foil till 202, took it out, let rest in cooler for 3 hours. Did not like it at all but my dog loves it.
Will stick to the way that I like. I don't use meat probes, just the temp gage at end of smoker. Im probably not a normal person. Some other people liked it but most people like anything free.
My dog will eat good for awhile. LOL Paid over 200.00 for 3 briskets, crazy meat prices.

What didn't you like about it?

Sounds like an expensive experiment and I'm not sure what went "wrong"? You didn't take it because you put a meat probe in it?

i dont use probes either but there's no need to brag about it, maybe in jest with buddies

i too am confused as to what you meant? if a thermometer ruined the taste, you may have used the wrong thermometer, LOL

• Haha
Reactions: PPG1
Not bragging about no probes, just fact. I have been smoking meat on my offset smoker for about 10 years as hobby, off and on.
Been reading that it is very unsafe to smoke at 150 degrees, which is how I have been smoking for 10 years with no problem.
I smoke briskets at 150 to 160 degrees for 24 hours, then I up the temp to 225 for 5 hours, then I put meat in a 20 x9 x 7 aluminum pan covered tight with foil for 2 hours at 250 degrees. Meat turns out great smoke flavor, very tender. I have had people that travel all over the USA, that tell me, best brisket ever tasted. Also I never put a rub or any type of seasoning on the meat, it is totally naked.
I have yet to make anyone sick. Just wanted to say that theory is totally wrong.

Last edited:
Not bragging about no probes, just fact. I have been smoking meat on my offset smoker for about 10 years as hobby, off and on.
Been reading that it is very unsafe to smoke at 150 degrees, which is how I have been smoking for 10 years with no problem.
I smoke briskets at 150 to 160 degrees for 24 hours, then I up the temp to 225 for 5 hours, then I put meat in a 20 x9 x 7 aluminum pan covered tight with foil for 2 hours at 250 degrees. Meat turns out great smoke flavor, very tender. I have had people that travel all over the USA, that tell me, best brisket ever tasted. Also I never put a rub or any type of seasoning on the meat, it is totally naked.
I have yet to make anyone sick. Just wanted to say that theory is totally wrong.

You didn't explain anything about your method of cooking in the first post, though.. lol

The accepted standard is over 140*F is safe, and there is a 4hr window to get there. Who/what posts are you referring to? Also, just because something rarely ever happens does not negate the possibility ("that theory is totally wrong"). Just like most of our parents/grandparents had house-made pickles, giardiniera/relish etc.,and nobody ever got sick, doesn't mean it was 100% safe.

Okay, thermometer did not ruin it, it was not ruined, it simply did not turn out the way I like. I could not smell any smoke on meat, could not taste any smoke.
When I first started smoking I did not know they had probes, A friend that had a BBQ place here in town taught me, he did not use probes, after taking foil off of pan, stuck a skewer in meat, if it went in easy, peasy, it was done, if not, covered back up for another hour. Sorry if I offend anyone because I mentioned I don't use probe, it was just second nature to mention it That friend moved away and I bought the smoker I have now.

My method is for me, I don't sell. When family, friends and neighbors hear or smell the smoker, they all show up and very few left overs.
Im new on the forum, just want to have fun and learn new things. I will try anything once, almost.

No offense, but a guy who has been successfully smoking meat “his way for 10 years” is sure needing a lot of reassurance from the folks on this forum, that in fact he is right. Something doesn’t add up here. Maybe we should tie in one of your other posts.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoking-meat-at-low-temp.308569/#post-2229183
You are totally wrong, not looking for reassurance, why would I. I was on internet today, typed in low smoking, I was surprised at what I read. I have no intention of changing my method, just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Smoke kills bacteria. I heavy smoke the meat.

You are totally wrong, not looking for reassurance, why would I. I was on internet today, typed in low smoking, I was surprised at what I read. I have no intention of changing my method, just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Smoke kills bacteria. I heavy smoke the meat.
Well, then you are heavily covered, I guess.

To answer your statement about smoke killing bacteria. That is false. Temperature kills bacteria in the correct amount given enough time. Nitrite kills some bacteria also. If smoke killed bacteria, then we could safely cold smoke meat with no nitrites, but that is not possible.
I suggest you buy Marianski’s book “Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages. Read it cover to cover at least a couple times. Then rejoin the conversation.

Take a breath.

This is Smoking Meat Forum. It is not the "internet" which has a lot of misleading information.
The members here are the most helpful group I have seen since in many years.
They ask a lot of questions to get the whole picture before answering a open question.

I don't "rub" brisket per se`. I use a light Dalmatian of salt and fresh pepper on brisket.
No sugar which is what I consider a rub. I detest sugar to make a bark. That is a personal thing.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge posted it first. Heat kills bacteria which is why 135° is a accepted pasteurization for internal temperature . Some bacteria takes a lot more than 160°F but you won't have them on fresh whole meat such as a prepared brisket. The outer surface of the meat reaches your smoker temperature in less than the 4 hour rule.

Reactions: zwiller
Bro...you need to keep browsing net a bit longer... Smoke doesn't kill bacteria... Bacteria is one cell living organism, simple as that... So smoke doesn't kill it... Thermal radiation kills bacteria... Keep on going with your method but refrain from false info...

FEEDING IT TO THE DOG!? Tough Brisket makes Great Tacos and Chili! Just share some with the dog.

WHILE YOU MAY DO AS YOU WISH, SMF MANAGEMENT SUGGESTS YOU FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES...
THE USDA FACT SHEET ON SMOKING UNCURED MEAT, RECOMMENDS SMOKING BETWEEN 225°F AND 300°F.

Smoke, as stated above, does not kill Bacteria, but it does have properties that Inhibit new Bacterial growth as Smoke is Antimicrobial.

Temp Probes provide a method to guide you as to whats happening and when to make a change. Example,..Smoking a Butt the IT hits 165, time to Foil. A couple hours later, the IT hits 205, time to unwrap and start Probing for tenderness. However, if Dad, Uncle Friend, taught you a Tried and True method of 150°For 24 hours, then 225 for 5 hours, then foil at 250 for 2 hours and start probing for tenderness...Thats just as Good and No reason to change because somebody on the Net says I'm doing it wrong...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky