If My Beer Fridge Dies Tonight...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
... I'm in trouble. The beef back ribs I cooked the other day were part of the Costco bounty we scored last week. But they had Prime brisket for $2.99, so that's on the pit this weekend.
V78ourf.jpg

All trimmed up. Now I need a battle plan.
zL9Kh4p.jpg

Last edited:
Praying for a strong compressor! Really like those beer can spacers separating stuff, nice use of what you have. In for the finish on this brisket.

Can’t wait to see how this works out! Ill pour one out for the compressor gods for you!

I'd rather the house fridge quits if one is going to. I got way better stuff in the barn fridge.

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Beer… fridge??? My normal fridge has more beer (less meat) than that. 😂. I got a ”prime brisket” at sams a few weeks ago for $3.49/lb. Funny thing, choice brisket, $5.29/lb. No brainer and WTF at the same time.

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
Beer… fridge??? My normal fridge has more beer (less meat) than that. 😂. I got a ”prime brisket” at sams a few weeks ago for $3.49/lb. Funny thing, choice brisket, $5.29/lb. No brainer and WTF at the same time.
He keeps the beer hid well ..................

• Haha
Reactions: bigfurmn
I've got the plan penciled in... I'll start off in my drum around 5 this afternoon. By 10 tonight I should have enough color and flavor, so I'll move to a foil boat (fat cap up), and continue to cook until 4 or 5 Sunday morning. Next I'll move to my Nesco roaster and hot hold for 10 hours or so. I'll also set-up my Cambro as an option.

I located (4) Modelo Oro, their lite beer competing with Miller Lite, and of course the (4) Lites holding up the brisket. I'm lighting the drum at the top of the hour, and Brisky is dressed for the occasion.
7lk3QA1.jpg

The plan is coming together, here is an update. The brisket went on my drum at 5pm Saturday, along with some ham shanks. Pit temp 250°F.
ImcUYir.jpg

I pulled the shanks after they got some good color (2.5 hours)
gUE1AHM.jpg

At 10pm Saturday night, I was ready to boat the brisket (fat side up). The internal was 165° and I used a little tallow on the foil and gave it a good spritz of dill pickle/water mix.
fkmxfDE.jpg

At 5am (12 hours of cooking) the internal was 199°, and the brisket probed tender. There was plenty of rendered tallow and liquid in the boat. I put it into a preheated 225° oven, and turned it off, guessing it would take a couple of hours for the internal to come down to 160°.
cvEmXyf.jpg

It actually took 3-hours to ramp down to 157°, so at 8am I moved the brisket from the oven into my Nesco roaster on the cooking rack. I did add some water under the rack for humidity. Temperatures are holding just right. The probing tenderness is very smooth, and the fat cap is jiggly. I will probably hold another 4 hours to push this method to it's fullest. Next up will be using a basting bulb to wet the fat cap with tallow.
1ySgpja.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky