If it doesn’t oink...my misadventure in smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

annewaldron

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
So I’ve got that bug. You know, the one where you get a new grill/smoker and want to cook everything under the sun.

So far on my pellet grill I’ve done stuffed pork chops, chicken breasts, a spatchcock chicken, ribeyes, today wings, and yesterday, ribs.

I found this forum after expanding my search from the Traeger owners forum to get some additional answers and knowledge. As I was digging in and learning, I started chatting with Tx smoker about beef, and admitted that beyond steaks I haven’t done much with beef, but I can already tell he’ll be a great source for info- grateful for that!

So yesterday I went to the grocery with meat on my mind- any kind. Saw some ribs on sale: Mmm pork ribs. Check.

Decided on the ol’ 2-2-1 method. Got some encouragement from Tx smoker to photo-document my process so that I could share on this forum. Check.

I opened up the package and gave a sniff. Hm, didn’t smell bad but didn’t really smell like what I’m used to, either. Remembering these were on sale, I figured maybe they were just starting to head toward being off: smart that I was getting them right on the grill today (I can’t believe I’m saying that, because in my life I have been known to “86” anything that wasn’t 100%- guess I’m just becoming an old cheapskate). They looked perfectly fine, though, so I rubbed them up with some Honey Hog and got to smoking.

Everything looked great- on for two hours: Check. Alarm went off, I wrapped them in foil with just a little apple cider and put them back on for another two hours: Check. Alarm went off, and I pulled my foil package off and opened it up with glee...wait...whoa, how did I possibly overcook the snot out of these ribs?? The bones were sticking way out like giant teeth in a jack-o’-lantern!!

I was super perplexed, and cut into them and they were tender and had a really nice red smoke ring, and tasted really delicious although there was something about them that just seemed different and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

I sheepishly sent photos to Tx smoker telling him that I really blew it with these ribs in beauty if not in flavor, and in his response he started giving me pointers about a better way to cook beef ribs. Then all of a sudden things started adding up in my mind and I went out to the garbage and dug out the package, and sure enough they were beef ribs, when all along I thought they were pork.

I. Could. Not. Stop. Laughing!

CLEARLY I need more experience cooking beef- I guess I just didn’t realize that it was going to start yesterday!

Sadly I don’t have photos of a table set with sides and ribs, to be honest I have a lousy cold and getting them to the finish line was just about all I could manage.

Thanks to Tx smoker for being a good sport in this “learning experience“- I can’t wait for a do-over!

Anyway, enjoy these pics of my “pork ribs”!

Attachments

• EECC42BC-DBB1-4AC7-B7DA-05A1EA0F1825.jpeg
    EECC42BC-DBB1-4AC7-B7DA-05A1EA0F1825.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 39D62A64-87BC-4164-AE8C-09BCEF86AB40.jpeg
    39D62A64-87BC-4164-AE8C-09BCEF86AB40.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 46
  • BB75A4B4-1228-4A24-80B8-4DF435532866.jpeg
    BB75A4B4-1228-4A24-80B8-4DF435532866.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 49
  • D5811DF7-D009-46C5-A599-D9FD456A355B.jpeg
    D5811DF7-D009-46C5-A599-D9FD456A355B.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 47
That is truly a funny story. Reading it I went from curious to what the hell to literally sitting here at my keyboard and laughing out loud! So awesome. You made my day. Great story and thanks for sharing.

FYI - the BEEF ribs look damn good!

That is truly a funny story. Reading it I went from curious to what the hell to literally sitting here at my keyboard and laughing out loud! So awesome. You made my day. Great story and thanks for sharing.

See Anne? I told you :emoji_laughing:

FYI - the BEEF ribs look damn good!

See Anne? I told you this also :emoji_laughing:

Ok....I've been going through this with Anne since about 6:00 this morning. All along she thought she'd done pork ribs but never made mention of what they were except to say "center cut ribs". As soon as i looked at the pics, I assumed beef ribs. She was totally perplexed...as was I. My fear was that I'd lost all my mental faculties and could no longer tell the difference between a pork rib and a beef rib. On one hand I wanted to be the one that was wrong to save her from the embarrassment but on the other hand, losing my mind wasn't a pleasant thought. After almost 7 hours of digesting this, I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks I'm laughing so hard. This has been quite an ordeal but it's been a ton of fun and Anne learned a bunch I'm betting....like read the label :emoji_wink:

Waiting for her next endeavor,
Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: annewaldron
They look good and you found out you can smoke beef ribs different ways and they still taste great.
I must admit I'm laughing especially since I'm wondering if maybe the cow was oinking :emoji_grinning:

Reactions: annewaldron
They look good and you found out you can smoke beef ribs different ways and they still taste great.
I must admit I'm laughing especially since I'm wondering if maybe the cow was oinking :emoji_grinning:
With that Honey Hog rub on it, it probably was! :emoji_laughing:

It may not have been oinking before she started prepping them but I bet it was when she finished cooking them. Poor cow lost it's true identity and is trying to get in touch with it's porcine side.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky