Identity theft ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Was notified of fraud charges on a credit card over night. The thieves used my card at Credit Sesame Premium and Transunion. The were small amounts $15 to $30. The bank denied them a $1500 purchase at a car stereo dealer online.

I'm worried they used my credit card to get a credit report, which would give them enough info for identity theft. Am I correct ?

Its my understanding that my credit report would contain my SSN , is that correct ? If so, that sort've makes me angry.

I went to get a free copy of my credit report and Experian wanted my SSN. I backed out.

Reactions: JLeonard
My identity was stolen a few years back. Was a nightmare. I use LifeLock now. They keep you notified and offer protection against identity theft. Cancel the card for sure and get a new one but no they can't access your credit report with your cc number. One thing I will suggest is to visit all 3 credit bureaus and lock your credit. This will prevent anyone from opening a line of credit in your name. The downside is anytime you want to apply for a line of credit you will have to go in and unlock it. Don't be afraid to give Experian your SSN.......they already have it, they are just making sure it is you

I agree with Jake, our credit has been locked for a few years. You can unlock it with your phone if you need a credit check, then lock it back up right away.
Al

Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
That sounds like good advice, will do pronto.

The bank is already issuing another card and has cancelled the old one. I thought it was strange that the thieves used my card at two credit report companies.

That sounds like good advice, will do pronto.

The bank is already issuing another card and has cancelled the old one. I thought it was strange that the thieves used my card at two credit report companies.
It's very difficult for thieves to access your actual credit report. They ask some pretty personal questions. For instance "which one of these addresses have you lived at".....then they give you 4 options. One or none will be correct. Hell mine was a childhood address I didn't even remember living at. They will ask a series of questions similar to that before you can gain access to your own report and if you make a wrong answer they will lock you out and make you call and mail proof. Definitely check your reports though

I started to lock my credit when I was working in Africa. I’ve done the same for my children because Identity thefts can destroy your kids credit history and it goes longer before it’s noticed. Sorry to hear about your troubles. It’s really rough, but credit companies are usually pretty good at catching it.

t-Mobile was hacked 5 JAN. As with most, if not all cell plans, automatic billing and access to the credit card is the norm. So I have one card on the 'auction' block so to speak. I have been using life lock for many years now. It 'almost' gives me peace of mind. I liked life better when I got monthly bills in the mail and wrote checks.

Looks like Experian will freeze my report for free. But Transunion and Equifax want $25 per month. That's pretty steep.

I searched and searched for a free option at Equifax and Transunion, if its there , they've got it hidden

Found it, I Googled " transunion credit freeze " , got a link in the results. Them and Equifax do their best to force you into their pay versions.

But I got all three locked for free.

Thanks

But Transunion and Equifax want $25 per month.
Those are their paid services, which include credit monitoring and probably other stuff, similar to LifeLock. Be sure to look for credit “freeze” vs. “lock”. Freezing is free and is the highest level of protection.

Those are their paid services, which include credit monitoring and probably other stuff, similar to LifeLock. Be sure to look for credit “freeze” vs. “lock”. Freezing is free and is the highest level of protection.
Yes freeze is what I meant

t-Mobile was hacked 5 JAN. As with most, if not all cell plans, automatic billing and access to the credit card is the norm. So I have one card on the 'auction' block so to speak. I have been using life lock for many years now. It 'almost' gives me peace of mind. I liked life better when I got monthly bills in the mail and wrote checks.

You can set up your online banking to receive the e-bill from many of your monthly bills and schedule that the bank pay them. They will do this either electronically or by printing and mailing a paper check for free on your behalf.

This is how I do ALL my monthly bills.
Companies want you to sign up for auto withdrawal by you providing your credit/debit/bank info and try to even give u like a 1-3% discount as a "benefit" to do so.
To hell with that!

I give no company control over drafting money out of my account. Instead I make payments, schedule payments, and control payments according to MY needs and schedule using my online banking tools. (Bank of America's tools are far superior to at least 4 other banks I've dealt with)

So long story short, you can use your online banking to schedule checks to go out, get ahold of e-bills and auto pay e-bills electronically or they will mail a paper check, and you can do a lot of other things that YOU fully control.

That's the way to avoid putting your financial info in the hands of non-financial companies so THEY can control how you pay them :)

I froze two accounts and got error on third saying need to verify identity. What a pain this has turned out to be. I accidentally froze while on phone so now I don't have a pin to unfreeze. Suppose to mail it I guess. Impossible to talk on phone as can't understand them. Tried uploading doc to comfirm identity and first error said has to be pdf or tiff so I created a pdf. Still would not take so I created tiff than said cant be color so edited to black and white and still says its color. Man I hope I get mailed pin number!

I froze two accounts and got error on third saying need to verify identity. What a pain this has turned out to be. I accidentally froze while on phone so now I don't have a pin to unfreeze. Suppose to mail it I guess. Impossible to talk on phone as can't understand them. Tried uploading doc to comfirm identity and first error said has to be pdf or tiff so I created a pdf. Still would not take so I created tiff than said cant be color so edited to black and white and still says its color. Man I hope I get mailed pin number!
You will get a pin in the mail. When you receive it file it away. Getting a replacement is even a bigger pain in the ass. Ask me how I know lol

I did not have that much trouble. None of the three asked me for much info, that I recall. But I am getting a lot of spam emails from Experian, which I've unsubscribed but ... a lot of good that does.

I've gone to using PayPal as a digital wallet for all on-line shopping, bill pay,etc. I can still use any number of credit cards or my bank account to make purchases, but the extra layer of protection might keep me from going through this again. The only problem with that , so far ... is not everyone is working with Paypal.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky