ideas for smoking store-bought chorizo?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trikefreak

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Local market had 10 oz tubes on sale at dollar a piece, now I'm looking for something creative to do with them on the smoker today. Any suggestions? Maybe mix with ground beef and make some fatties? Maybe make some thick burger/chorizo patties, smoke them, and then have for lunches this week? I'm smoking up some ribs today, might as well fill 'er up while I've got the smoke rolling...................

I wish I could get that stuff here where I live. I love it. I don't know about smoking it though as it seems to just melt into tasty red grease when cooked. I am interested to see what you do with it. I love mexican chorizo and potato casserole and that is what I do with that stuff most of the time. You could do A smoked version. Maybe....

Mix it with a couple different cheeses and rice, then stuff some peppers with it. Throw in the smoker and it should be done in about 3.5-4 hrs at 275. 

One of my crews favorites. 

Another option that  tried once a few weeks ago and went over well, filet out your pork loin, spread the chorizzo out and cover with cheese and jalepenos. Tied it up and into the smoker it goes.

Another option that  tried once a few weeks ago and went over well, filet out your pork loin, spread the chorizzo out and cover with cheese and jalepenos. Tied it up and into the smoker it goes.
Cool idea with the pork loin! Local store had full loins on sale at $1.49/lb and was thinking about buying a couple of them. This will be on my "to try list".

Last edited:
Dang Gary....hard to find hooch and a shortage of chorizzo. WTH do you have to look forward to other than Hockey night with Don Cherry?

Ok....that may be a little harsh, but I couldnt imagine not getting my chorizzo fix. Even the big box store's meat markets mix their own both here and in LA where we split time. 

Gary....Must be about the same as me.....I'm from the South and a self confessed gear head. I absolutely can't watch more than 3 minutes of NASCAR without worrying I am losing brain cells. IMHO only....the most boring damn thing ever....the idea that the only excitement is when someone wrecks escapes me. 

Vaq

Hey Doug

Sounds like just up my alley.  Maybe with some smoked onions, tomatoes, Jalapenos, and cheese.

Gary
You just made my stomach happy! But i'm gonna up it one more notch...how about...smoking the onions, maters, and jalepenos and then blend them into a salsa topping?

Burger Bun

----------------------------------

Smokey Salsa Topping

-----------------------------------

Cheese

Chorizo Burger

Burger Bun

Let me help you bump it up another notch there partner. Carne Molida (hamburger) is no way to make real chili. I will call it by it's Spanish name because we are talking about chorizo. As a Texican by birth and pride....Chili needs to be made with real chunks of beef. Smoke a chuckie then cut into cubes or chunks and add it to the chorizo in your chili pot. Make your salsa as was suggested and use black beans for the bean portion. Black Beans are incredibly good for you, and honestly....just freakin taste good. I have won a hand full of chili cook offs with these basics ( of course a couple kickers here and there thrown in...but that's for you to figure out as to what works for you) Real Beef, Black Beans, Chorizo, Smoked or grilled cebollas (onions), grilled tomatillos and chilis, and don't forget to grill your tomatoes before adding them in. That right there is the way to start a kick azz pot of chili!!

Depending on how hot the chilis are you are adding, I have tempered mine with two tablespoons of local honey and a bottle of beer to keep the liquid ratio where you want it....all kinds of ways to juice it up a bit.

Good luck.

Let me help you bump it up another notch there partner. Carne Molida (hamburger) is no way to make real chili. I will call it by it's Spanish name because we are talking about chorizo. As a Texican by birth and pride....Chili needs to be made with real chunks of beef. Smoke a chuckie then cut into cubes or chunks and add it to the chorizo in your chili pot. Make your salsa as was suggested and use black beans for the bean portion. Black Beans are incredibly good for you, and honestly....just freakin taste good. I have won a hand full of chili cook offs with these basics ( of course a couple kickers here and there thrown in...but that's for you to figure out as to what works for you) Real Beef, Black Beans, Chorizo, Smoked or grilled cebollas (onions), grilled tomatillos and chilis, and don't forget to grill your tomatoes before adding them in. That right there is the way to start a kick azz pot of chili!!

Depending on how hot the chilis are you are adding, I have tempered mine with two tablespoons of local honey and a bottle of beer to keep the liquid ratio where you want it....all kinds of ways to juice it up a bit.

Good luck.
Now hold on, I thought real texas chilli had no beans??? haha

Man oh man.....thats a sure fire way to start a fight!!  My family and friends have agreed to not broach that subject, we have a Magna Carta that was drawn up with the agreement being that without beans...we'll refer to it as Chili Con Carne (beef and hot peppers) and what I described above as just Chili. 

Discussing to bean or not to bean one's Chili is akin to discussing who uses the back door at the local bar more....Catholics or Presbyterians, McCarthyism, and your best friends wife's virtue prior to their marriage. All should be off limits unless your looking for a scrap!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky