Ideas for ducks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Been a heck of a season in the Louisiana delta this year. I have a freezer slam full of venison, and the last couple weeks of the season we changed gears and went after some waterfowl. I got lucky and loaded up. I have my traditional roasted duck recipe which I love, but looking for some other ideas. I’d love to make a duck sausage or a prosciutto but I don’t want to waste this precious meat. Duck is one of my all time faves.
F3002FCA-E980-4C01-AB20-25F3760E1741.jpeg
27188D5D-413D-401C-AB17-882D7C0B7DB0.jpeg 5C11349D-A5C4-4567-9CF9-D5E34CFC1983.jpeg
3F9440CF-7F03-42A3-AAC0-1075F34C3517.jpeg
90235CE3-DB3A-4EB6-8420-8BD1A3A30073.jpeg
F66F29E5-D112-468C-AC54-4E9DB73539A9.jpeg
Any tried and true duck recipes y’all are willing to share? Thanks in advance...

I'm glad someone is killing them here in Louisiana. Been a bad year all way around from the people I know....
Keith, that's what I keep hearing. We got lucky and had them late. Last two weeks of the season were nuts. If we'd have shot halfway decent it would have been lights out!

I plucked em all. I hate breasting out ducks, do not like wasting!!
My man.....a true coonass. My great Uncles taught me how to clean a duck-nothing wasted, every bird was plucked. Though I now part them out for the most part. pineapple teriyaki glazed and grilled duck leg quarters are a true delight inda duck blind my friend....

Reactions: 73saint
Nice hunt! Have never had much duck but knew indaswamp indaswamp would be able to help you out... which he did in great fashion! Now I'm craving duck with all his ideas.

Ryan

I mean, that just looks stupid good. Now I am kicking myself for sharing my ducks with my 78 y/o father who just stayed in camp and watched TV last couple weeks!!!!!
Get the pit up to 300*F. when you put them on, it should only take 45 minutes for teal, 1 hour for widgeons and woodys, 1:15 for big ducks like mallard and canvasback. Don't over cook them. Pull @135~140*INT for med. rare - med. duck....

They should look like this when you are done:
DSC01375_zps0235ca91.jpg

Making duck proscuitto is wasting duck?! Rob, man you are spoiled! :emoji_laughing: I am on Lake Erie and is a big duck area. Nearly all the nicer restaurants here serve duck confit but maybe its a northern thing tho.

Reactions: jcam222 and 73saint
Making duck proscuitto is wasting duck?! Rob, man you are spoiled! :emoji_laughing: I am on Lake Erie and is a big duck area. Nearly all the nicer restaurants here serve duck confit but maybe its a northern thing tho.
I didn't mean to insinuate that. I actually want to make duck proscuitto. I just meant that I want to do right by them, certainly don't think prosciutto is a waste.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky