Ideas for cooking for cub scouts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sniltz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2008
China Grove, NC
I need ideas for cooking with my sons cub scouts pack.  I only know of one thing, and that is trash can turkey or chicken.  Where you use a tin trash can like a dutch oven, with the turkey on a stick under the trash can and you put coals around the bottom and top of of the trash can.  If anyone has any ideas they may have I would love to hear them.  Thanks
icon_cool.gif

Anything over fire will work great!

Try silver turtles?  Foil wrapped hamburgers with potato carrot and a spoon of soup mix.  My son's Pack loved dutch oven pot roast.  The secret is a huge chuck of meat to impress the boys.  Then they'll eat it.  Have you tried the MacScouter web site.  Tons of ideas.

As a former scout leader the one thing i can tell you is the boys love pretty much anything that THEY can help cook.

The silver turtles (we called em hobo dinners) are good. Have the onions and taters sliced and let the boys make their own dinner then you help w/ the  seasoning and wrapping the foil.

Also If you can get your hands on any of the old welded wire milk crates. They are fantastic to put the foil packets in then shove the crate down in the coals and throw a few coals on the top of the dinners. and if you want to cook over the fire or coals just flip the crate upside down and it's great for setting a pot on to cook in.

i was a weblos leader for 6 years and the weblos den that i led placed 1st  in the campfire cooking contest 5 out of 6 years at our district fam. camp. the kids would eat hobo dinners and roasted weenies for dinner but when it came time for the contest they cooked gumbo or pastalaya or chilli or stew. The leaders had to do any knife work and move pots on and off the fire and could give advice but the boys had to do all cooking.

Take Hot dogs, preferably Oscar Mayer, wrap them in crescent rolls the pilsbury kind, then wrap them in foil and place along side the coals until done.

forgot a pic, this is not mine however

and for Halloween

I am in my 3rd year as den leader (Bear Leader) and this is one thing I will be doing wit the Bears

Dutch oven cobbler.  Easy ta do an real tastey.

Pie irons er great to cause each boy can make his own dinner the way they like it, burgers with onions er not, grilled cheese sammies, an such. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky