Idea for My First Fatty....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbiii

Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Hey all,

I'll be hosting a Christmas party Saturday night, and was looking to smoke some pork butts as well as try my hand at my first fatty.  I've been looking through this forum at all the ideas and learning some techniques, and last night had one of those lightning-bolt moments:

A muffuletta fatty.

Olive salad, salami, capicola, mortadella, provolone & (swiss?  mozarella?  different sources say different things), all rolled in either ground pork or beef, with the obligatory bacon weave.  Probably enough cholesterol and sodium to kill a moose, but I'm feeling adventurous, and a quick search made it look as though no one has done it yet.

Any thoughts?   I'll let you guys know how it turns out if I'm bold enough to go through with it.

I am wondering what effect the smoke will have on the olive salad. The rest sounds awesome. Maybe you could serve the salad as an accompniment. Just my .02 

icon_cool.gif

Now your idea sure sounds yummy and all. The fattie is just a vessal for the fillings are as vast as the creator. The Breakfast is probably the most used but if you ask in my house it's the Baked Potatoe fattie around here. Now for your Muffuletta fattie sounds good I say go for it what could happen???It sit there till someone gets the ba....to try it. It's a party someone will try it and you never know. Yea one thing does need to happen thou Q-view that always needs to happen.

Although I haven't made one yet either, sounds good, IMO skip the olive salad and use just one cheese - provolone !  &  use ground beef mixed with pork (maybe)

Good luck & enjoy !  (qview too)

Scott

I looked on a few other sites and found where folks have used olives and/or olive salad in fatties.

The thing to do is get the ammount of olive salad that you want to use and drain in a colander and then wrap it in a clean dish towel or paper towels and press as much oil out as you can, Then apply to fatty.

Provolone and mozzarella both sound good to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky