• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I won an Egg !

WildmanWilson

Joined Dec 28, 2018
I won a large Big Green Egg in a Father’s Day giveaway. I also have owned one for at least 15 years. So I really don’t need two so would you sell the old one or new one? I think the newer ones have a different spring system. What’s a fair price for either?

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Congrats, don't know the worth but folks love them.

retfr8flyr

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2013
Congrats! I would sell the old one, as you will not get a price near what it's worth for the new one, due to the lack of a warranty.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Are they both Actual "Big Green Eggs" or is one a copy (Kamado, River Grill, etc)?
If so, go with the BGE.
If they both are real, I'd go with the newest one.

Bear

WildmanWilson

Joined Dec 28, 2018
Are they both Actual "Big Green Eggs" or is one a copy (Kamado, River Grill, etc)?
If so, go with the BGE.
If they both are real, I'd go with the newest one.

Bear
Yes the are both BGE brand. I’m thinking of selling the old one. Would 500 be a fair price?

texomakid

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 6, 2017
Naw, you don't want to sell it, re-gift it. I'll send you a PM with my address. Best idea I've had all day... :)

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Maybe you should pay it forward . Keep the new one you got for nothing and find someone that would love to have an egg but can't afford it .

WildmanWilson

Joined Dec 28, 2018
Maybe you should pay it forward . Keep the new one you got for nothing and find someone that would love to have an egg but can't afford it .
I guess I should give my old truck to someone since I bought a new one too. Lol. I give my time and money to my causes but I see nothing wrong with selling something I own.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I guess I should give my old truck to someone since I bought a new
Well no ,,, I would not do that , since you paid for a new truck . Now if I won a truck for free , I would give my old one to someone that could use it .

WildmanWilson

Joined Dec 28, 2018
Well no ,,, I would not do that , since you paid for a new truck . Now if I won a truck for free , I would give my old one to someone that could use it .
I suppose you aren’t aware that winning a prize over 500 is considered income and taxes must be paid. Since the prize in close to a thousand dollars then it’s probably going to be 350 or more owed in taxes. So you pay the taxes and I’ll give my old one away.

dr k

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 22, 2013
Keep both to see if the spring lid is different/better. Grill on one while long smoking on the other. Grill burgers direct on one and transfer to indirect on the other for gatherings etc. Bongos!

WildmanWilson

Joined Dec 28, 2018
Well to my surprise I won an XL Egg instead of a large. So maybe I have a use for two now. It was just delivered and boy it’s heavy.

dr k

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 22, 2013
Well to my surprise I won an XL Egg instead of a large. So maybe I have a use for two now. It was just delivered and boy it’s heavy.
Keep both. My Big Red Akorn is 22" like a Weber kettle. You'll definitely appreciate the increase in real estate.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Congrats on the new rig! Man I'd love to have a XL BGE. Its on my list once I win the lottery and my wife un-decides that I already have enough outdoor cooking equipment lol. Get some pics of those bad boys up

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.