I was given a smokey joe ..Now what??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Welshrarebit,

You will likely find the "basketless" mod (if it works), a interesting and inexpensive mod.  The materials will be a recycled tin can, which is cheaper than building a basket.  It will also allow you to have more charcoal in your mini-WSM.  The blanket mod will cost some money up front, but will save on charcoal in the long run.  However, with the 40 pounds of charcoal for $9.98 special at Lowes right now, it may take a while to recover the cost of that mod.
I can tell you that the charcoal basket is one of the best mods you can make, especially if you are using the SMJ silver. I smoked with just an ash deflector for about 4 months prior to building my first charcoal basket. The difference in temp control and fuel efficiency was night and day. The charcoal when basketed burns cleaner and leaves less ash.

Basketless

The underlying reason why a basket helps is the distinct lack of airflow at the outer edge of the pile of coals.  If you burn without a basket, you are frequently left with a ring of unburned briquettes around the outer edge.  Using a basket eliminates the "dead zone" where the unburned briquettes are found.  Without the unburned briquettes at the edge (impacting air circulation around the central coals), air flow is enhanced to the central coals; performance is enhanced.  However, the actual problem, airflow at the edge is not fixed, it is worked around.  A man with no arms, will never experience a broken arm, but nobody would endorse lopping off their arms to avoid a broken arm.  The basket eliminates the "problem coals" (at the outer edge) which do not burn properly, and (the unburned charcoal) impedes air flow.  A basket is a solution which works well, but I question whether it is a bit like lopping the arms off.  The real solution likely involves fixing the air flow problem, and allows the briquettes at the edge to burn properly. I am unsure on how to apply it to the "silver" model, but have some ideas for the "gold" which will be tried in the next month. 

Last edited:
Addertooth, take Case's and I's word for it...It's nothing to do with a ring of unburned coals..blah blah blah.   It flat out lets the ash drop off the coals. The coals don't smother hence a cleaner burn. It also lets air get to the coals from all sides.      You've had a mini what a few weeks?  We've had mini's for almost 2 years and years respectively. 

Last edited:
I hear both of you, your experience carries a lot of weight with me.  But like a puppy with a new bone, I will have to gnaw on it a while before it is put to the side.  The basket is a great solution.  The largest endorsement to the basket, besides its great success in a variety of smokers, is the fact Weber uses it in their WSM product line (via a ring). They definitely have the budget, and the engineering team to attack other possible solutions.   However, I wonder if it is the only solution.

Last edited:

I hear both of you, your experience carries a lot of weight with me.  But like a puppy with a new bone, I will have to gnaw on it a while before it is put to the side.  The basket is a great solution.  The largest endorsement to the basket, besides its great success in a variety of smokers, is the fact Weber uses it in their WSM product line (via a ring).  However, I wonder if it is the only solution.
I've got to agree with Addertooth, if we just accept that this way or that way is the best way or the only way, we'd still be piling brush outside the cave to smoke our meat.

I've got to agree with Addertooth, if we just accept that this way or that way is the best way or the only way, we'd still be piling brush outside the cave to smoke our meat.
...and sometimes the wheel doesn't need reinvented.    If you two can find a way to get the cleanest of burns  other than a 10 dollar piece of expanded steel that's proven over and over and over then we're all ears for sure.   

Cooking BBQ isn't like inventing a new rocket to go to outer space. It's a very basic concept that involves wood, fire and food and all the electronics, fans etc...is not going to change that. 

Last edited:

...and sometimes the wheel doesn't need reinvented.    If you two can find a way to get the cleanest of burns  other than a 10 dollar piece of expanded steel that's proven over and over and over then we're all ears for sure.   

Cooking BBQ isn't like inventing a new rocket to go to outer space. It's a very basic concept that involves wood, fire and food and all the electronics, fans etc...is not going to change that. 
So, if there is no better way, why are you here?
a38.gif

So, if there is no better way, why are you here?
a38.gif
There are always better ways to cook something, cure something, better recipes or procedures etc...    If y'all can come up with a better way to keep a clean charcoal fire then we'll be all ears and appreciative....In fact the whole BBQ world would. 

FWIsmoker,

Yes, all BBQ involves fuel, air, fire, smoke and food.  But if that was all there was to it, there would only be one type of smoker.  There would be no variations in that one type of smoker.  But this is not what I have observed.  I have seen a great variety of smokers, with a wealth of modifications.  The smoker itself, and how it is modified, has a real effect upon the outcome.  Sometimes the change in outcome has nothing to do with the taste of the food.  Sometimes it improves length of burn without maintenance (such as what the basket provides), sometimes it is temperature stability (tuning plates and diffusers), some effect peak sustainable temperatures, some are just cosmetic mods.  To each their own.  I don't take any offense to techniques and methods which other people employ.  Quite frankly, it is a win for all when someone comes up with a "slightly different" mousetrap.  Any single mod will not be a solution for everyone.  Every mod addresses a specific problem or question.  Not everyone deals with the same problems or questions.  At my high-altitude location, completeness of combustion is a more "burning" issue. 

There are always better ways to cook something, cure something, better recipes or procedures etc...    If y'all can come up with a better way to keep a clean charcoal fire then we'll be all ears and appreciative....In fact the whole BBQ world would. 
You're making my point for me. And that's exactly what Addertooth is trying to do. All of the better ways to do something came from people just like him who enjoyed, or out of necessity, experimented and tested theories to try to make things just a little better. That is why sites like this are so much fun. It gives members an opportunity to share ideas and experiences with like-minded people, and to learn from and teach each other
a38.gif

Last edited:

FWIsmoker,

Yes, all BBQ involves fuel, air, fire, smoke and food.  But if that was all there was to it, there would only be one type of smoker. No that isn't true
The simple concepts don't change is what i'm saying.  I'm not against improvements in fact I have several BBQ related  inventions I'm working on though none of the inventions change those simple concepts i'm talking about.   The mini is an incredible, dependable, versatile,  fantastic little cooker but it isn't a rocket ship is what i'm saying.   I've ran tests with Guru's and IQ's, basket and no basket etc...etc..etc.. but come back to simple for the best results. 

The laws of a clean hot fire produces the best product isn't going to change and charcoal baskets in smokers across the entire bbq world help make that happen along with air convection of the smoker. 

Last edited:
FWIsmoker,

We actually agree, a clean (small) hot fire is the goal.  I am trying to make a clean hot fire, but without a basket, fans or electric gizmos.  This way, it is applicable to people who don't use stokers (but will work with stokers too).  Any comments I could make to the outcome, is premature at this time.  I think you and I largely agree on what we want, perhaps language is somehow getting in the way. 

Last edited:

The simple concepts don't change is what I'm saying.  I'm not against improvements in fact I have several BBQ related  inventions I'm working on though none of the inventions change those simple concepts I'm talking about.   The mini is an incredible, dependable, versatile,  fantastic little cooker but it isn't a rocket ship is what I'm saying.   I've ran tests with Guru's and IQ's, basket and no basket etc...etc..etc.. but come back to simple for the best results. 

The laws of a clean hot fire produces the best product isn't going to change and charcoal baskets in smokers across the entire bbq world help make that happen along with air convection of the smoker. 
I agree that some simple things don't change (fire, smoke, air, etc.) and I believe Addertooth agrees with that too. I believe that a clean fire produces the best results, and I believe Addertooth agrees with that too. I agree that you and I are not against improvements, and I know Addertooth isn't. So, what's our problem? The charcoal basket across the entire BBQ world? I have a charcoal basket for my side firebox smoker, but I never use it. It's not necessary in a wood fire, it just gets in the way. So it's not across the entire BBQ world. Is that our argument. I thought it was that there was no way to improve upon the charcoal basket in a Mini-WSM.

FWIsmoker,

We actually agree, a clean (small) hot fire is the goal.  I am trying to make a clean hot fire, but without a basket, fans or electric gizmos.  This way, it is applicable to people who don't use stokers (but will work with stokers too).  Any comments I could make to the outcome, is premature at this time.  I think you and I largely agree on what we want, perhaps language is somehow getting in the way. 
I have built every kind of fire my mini-wsm. With and without the basket, with and without the ash guard. With the ash guard no basket, with the basket with the ash guard. Basket only, no ash guard. I have used lump, briquettes, even straight wood. I have used the snake method, the minion method, the side light method, the full lit chimney method. To date the most efficient method I have used involves using the basket and the ash guard.  That's my findings.

I hope we didn't scare away the OP! Get that mini built and start Smokin!

DirtSailor2003,

Thank you for your results. Good design decisions are more likely to be made with a more complete data set.  And yes, I hope we didn't scare off the original poster (OP), hopefully he will start posting pictures soon of his build.  We can then torment him for his choice of sports-team logo he emblazons on the side of his smoker. 
hijack2.gif

To date the most efficient method I have used involves using the basket and the ash guard.  That's my findings.

I hope we didn't scare away the OP! Get that mini built and start Smokin!
See, you qualified your findings with "To date". It just bugs me when someone tries to shut down other posters with a "STFU, my way is the best way." type of remark.

I don't think we scared away the OP. Seems like I saw him elbow deep in a controversy the other day.

GrillMonkey,

In all fairness to FWIsmoker, I believe something in what I have posted recently may have offended him.  He has been here since 2012, and through the years, he has probably seen no shortage of upstart newbie members (like me) throwing out wild and different ideas.  Most new members, like myself, do not have a reasonable appreciation for all the experiments and trials performed by experienced members of this forum.  Frequently experienced member's views are based upon hard-earned pain.  Although I may not always agree with other people's conclusions, I can respect the effort they put out to develop their opinions.  I appreciate you trying to defend creative solutions GrillMonkey, but I can also appreciate how my opinions may rub others the wrong way. 

Last edited:
I don't have and never have had a basket in my mini.. just the ash guard... I don't have and never have had extra air vents... never needed them... My mini works just fine (low or hot) without them... chugs along with very minimal input from my behalf ...

GrillMonkey,

In all fairness to FWIsmoker, I believe something in what I have posted recently may have offended him.  He has been here since 2012, and through the years, he has probably seen no shortage of upstart newbie members (like me) throwing out wild and different ideas.  Most new members, like myself, do not have a reasonable appreciation for all the experiments and trials performed by experienced members of this forum.  Frequently experienced member's views are based upon hard-earned pain.  Although I may not always agree with other people's conclusions, I can respect the effort they put out to develop their opinions.  I appreciate you trying to defend creative solutions GrillMonkey, but I can also appreciate how my opinions may rub others the wrong way. 
Much appreciated addertooth.  Case, myself and others have collaborated  and experimented with failures, successes and ideas for a while now long before this dedicated mini thread was here.   Is there more than one way to skin a cat sometimes...Absolutely.      It's nice to see you recognize our past trials.    Definitely keep on experimenting and when y'all have an idea ask if any of us have tried it because there's a decent  chance someone already  has. 

Last thing on the basket besides it does give cleaner burns/ better airflow.   The other Keith doesn't use one and yes it will work that way just will work better with.

Expanded metal- $10

Ability to easily shake out the ash and reuse the leftover- Priceless

I don't have and never have had a basket in my mini.. just the ash guard... I don't have and never have had extra air vents... never needed them... My mini works just fine (low or hot) without them... chugs along with very minimal input from my behalf ...
Yes, but it's just not as good as a charcoal basket! Just ask FWIsmoker
38.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky