I think I seasoned my smoker incorrectly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For the initial burn, just coat the inside canola or other high temp oil and run it with intake and exhaust wide open. build a big enough fire in the box to get it good and hot. 300°+
I just did everything seenred told me to do and I'm getting ready right now to season it again after I did all the power washing I got the Kohl's lit just waiting for them to get to the point that I need them. I bought oak and hickory hardwood lump charcoal yesterday I was at Walmart and saw it. It's the cowboy brand.

Hello DukeSilver!

First off, it looks like you're new around here, so welcome!

Here's what I'd do to season a new offset smoker:

First, assume there's some manufacturing scut left inside from the production process. I'd use hot soapy water to get all that out that I could. If you have a power washer, that's a good tool to help with this cleanout. Wipe it out as well as you can. After that's done, if you run your hand across inner surfaces, and still feel any oily or greasy residue, you should probably build a real hot fire in it an run it for an hour or 2 - to burn off all that junk. When you're sure the interior is free of oils, metal shavings, grinder dust, etc, then you can coat all interior surfaces with a light coat of vegetable cooking spray, and build another fire. Run it for another couple hours. During this burn-in is a good time to begin to get a feel for controlling your temps, how much wood it uses, where hot spots are, etc. Once that's complete, it's seasoned pretty well. The next step is to get some meat cookin! The more you cook in it, the better seasoned it'll become.

The odor you mentioned that smells like a dirty campfire is probably creosote. If you think you've made a mistake and seasoned improperly, no worries - just repeat the above steps...power wash it out, scrub with soapy water, burn out, apply cooking spray, and re-season.

Hope that all makes sense and helps.

Good luck and happy cooking!
Red
I have the seasoning process going right now, I picked up a bag of lump charcoal, a mix of oak and hickory and this smells better than the wood I bought and was using initially to smoke it. I don't know if I got sold the incorrect wood or not.

Hello seenred,
Thank you so much for the detailed information that you provided me that's exactly what I was looking for because I feel like I definitely did it wrong and after reading what you just told me I definitely did it wrong so I'm going to have to try this process again unfortunately it's raining out today where I'm at so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow I'll power wash it down I'll clean it down with the mild soap and water clean everything up and follow everything you said after that to get this cleaned and seasoned properly. I'm not too familiar with the way the wood should smell when burning so you notice the previous post that I respond to somebody else with the pictures of the wood that I bought I was using the oak wood cutting it down maybe to maybe about 8 in to 9 in little pieces possibly about an inch and a half to 2 in thick and that's how I was trying to build the fire and get that bed of Kohl's but I didn't even know that until after I seasoned it as I'm trying to figure everything out because a lot of videos were just saying pour that charcoal in there put the wood on top, obviously after you get the charcoal lit, And you'll be good to go then I'm watching other videos that say don't use the charcoal just build it using wood and get a bed of coal's from the wood so I was trying that after I "seasoned" it to try to get a feel for it And the point that I'm trying to get to is should these woods smell like a barbecue joint or are they going to smell like it would if you threw it in your fire pit? I actually did throw a piece of the apple wood in there too just to see how adding a different type of wood would burn while I was messing around with the oak and when I added that it smelled more peppery to me I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to smell everybody was saying add that for a sweet flavor but I don't see that giving off a sweet flavor if it's smelling like that I could be wrong though like I said I'm very new to this first time I've ever had a smoker so I'm definitely trying to learn all I can and get this process right.

Hey Duke, you're getting lots of good advice so far. Lots of these guys know more than me about offset fire management. You are on the right track!

Your questions about different woods: first, I sympathize with the challenges of finding a source for good smoking woods in your area. That's not a problem where I live - we have an abundance of oak, hickory, pecan, and fruit woods here. I can also appreciate your doubts about how different woods will affect the flavor - and aroma - of your cook. I know that there are many guys who claim they detect the different nuances of flavor from different woods, and I don't dispute them...but to be honest, I really can't tell much difference between one wood type and another (with one exception - mesquite produces a pretty strong and unique smoke flavor that I can tell the difference). I generally burn either hickory or pecan wood - mostly because they're in such ample supply around me.

Here's a decent article I found on different smoking woods. The author is a little subjective, but covers most common smoking woods pretty well...including woods you shouldn't cook with.

Part I

Part 2

Fire management in an offset smoker is - IMHO - much more of an art than a science. It seems that every pit is different, and takes lots of time, practice and experience to master. Like you, my first smoker was a cheap offset (COS) from a big box store. Many COS pits are a challenge in fire management and temperature control, because they leak air from places they shouldn't. It seems you are already addressing that with your pit...you mentioned you've already sealed up some air leaks, so you're already ahead of the curve. IMHO, in most offsets, the fire - and the cooking temperature - can be controlled in 2 ways: by adjusting your dampers to control oxygen to the fire; and by building a smaller or bigger fire in the firebox. Many experienced cooks have mastered the 2nd thing - controlling your temps with the size of your fire. But again - it's an art that requires experimenting, time, and experience to master.

The question of using charcoal to get a bed of coals started: Every pit master has his or her own system, and what works best for them. IMO, I don't think there is a wrong way of doing it - it's just doing what works best for YOU. For me, I like to start with a chimney-full of red-hot lump charcoal, then put 2 or 3 medium-small splits on that coal bed. Others like to start with several small splits in the firebox, and use a propane log lighter or weed burner to light them. But again, whatever works best for a person is what they should do. This is a trial-and-error step that you should just experiment with to see what works for you.

Happy smoking! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

Many COS pits are a challenge in fire management and temperature control, because they leak air from places they shouldn't.

This is the biggest problem in controlling fire in COS's as Red stated... Best way to see if air leaks are excessive is by closing the intake vent all the way (after a fire is established) and see what temps do in the smoker... If they start to go down after about 15 minutes then control with intake vent should be obtainable... If temps keep rising with intake vent closed then you know you have to many air leaks.... So now the only way to control fire with intake closed is to start closing down the exhaust vent... The object is to have a flame (when using wood only)... Flame is a clean fire... Smoldering (no flame) is a dirty fire... This is where the size of the wood comes into play...

Hey Duke, you're getting lots of good advice so far. Lots of these guys know more than me about offset fire management. You are on the right track!

Your questions about different woods: first, I sympathize with the challenges of finding a source for good smoking woods in your area. That's not a problem where I live - we have an abundance of oak, hickory, pecan, and fruit woods here. I can also appreciate your doubts about how different woods will affect the flavor - and aroma - of your cook. I know that there are many guys who claim they detect the different nuances of flavor from different woods, and I don't dispute them...but to be honest, I really can't tell much difference between one wood type and another (with one exception - mesquite produces a pretty strong and unique smoke flavor that I can tell the difference). I generally burn either hickory or pecan wood - mostly because they're in such ample supply around me.

Here's a decent article I found on different smoking woods. The author is a little subjective, but covers most common smoking woods pretty well...including woods you shouldn't cook with.

Part I

Part 2

Fire management in an offset smoker is - IMHO - much more of an art than a science. It seems that every pit is different, and takes lots of time, practice and experience to master. Like you, my first smoker was a cheap offset (COS) from a big box store. Many COS pits are a challenge in fire management and temperature control, because they leak air from places they shouldn't. It seems you are already addressing that with your pit...you mentioned you've already sealed up some air leaks, so you're already ahead of the curve. IMHO, in most offsets, the fire - and the cooking temperature - can be controlled in 2 ways: by adjusting your dampers to control oxygen to the fire; and by building a smaller or bigger fire in the firebox. Many experienced cooks have mastered the 2nd thing - controlling your temps with the size of your fire. But again - it's an art that requires experimenting, time, and experience to master.

The question of using charcoal to get a bed of coals started: Every pit master has his or her own system, and what works best for them. IMO, I don't think there is a wrong way of doing it - it's just doing what works best for YOU. For me, I like to start with a chimney-full of red-hot lump charcoal, then put 2 or 3 medium-small splits on that coal bed. Others like to start with several small splits in the firebox, and use a propane log lighter or weed burner to light them. But again, whatever works best for a person is what they should do. This is a trial-and-error step that you should just experiment with to see what works for you.

Happy smoking! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red
Thanks for the reply and the videos, I'm going to give them a watch once I get a chance. I'm almost to the point where I feel like going to the only hardware store that I can find close by and buy the kiln dried oak logs and see what type of smell they put off as opposed to the ones that I got. I feel like I should invest in a moisture meter as well just to test this wood I've gotten. What sucks is this place had the best prices. You can get an entire bin that's maybe about 3 and 1/2 ft deep maybe a little bit bigger and roughly about four and a half to 5 ft wide all around for $100 or they'll let you fill up a cart for $36 unfortunately I don't have a truck so I did the cart option. Now if I go over to Ace hardware and buy a bag I'm looking at 1.25 cu ft of wood for $30.

I'm definitely going to have to keep on looking for a really reliable source but as of right now they just seem to have the best prices and it's about a 40 minute drive from me.

I see a few more leaks I think I mentioned those already that I'm going to address with the silicone caulk Just got to get around to buying it.

As I mentioned I'm seasoning it right now I've had the temperatures well over 300°. I got a little less than an hour left before it's done the process. I did throw a piece of hickory that I have onto the coal bed And that smell it produce was pretty damn good reminds me of some good barbecue food. I like this lump charcoal I got though a lot better than the briquets. Even the smell that was coming off of the lump charcoal as it was burning smelled good to me.

I I'm curious about one thing now, if I have a solid log and I'm cutting it up into smaller pieces obviously should I leave the bark on there will that affect the flavor at all or do people generally get rid of the bark?

Thanks again for all the information you provide me with and the help as well, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I I'm curious about one thing now, if I have a solid log and I'm cutting it up into smaller pieces obviously should I leave the bark on there will that affect the flavor at all or do people generally get rid of the bark?

Thanks again for all the information you provide me with and the help as well, I appreciate it.

Hey, happy to help! You'll find lots of helpful members here who are just paying it forward! Lots of guys like me, who took advantage of the knowledge and experience of the guys who came before us, and are simply returning the favor.

Opinions will probably vary on the question of tree bark. Many say that the bark produces a bitter smoke that negatively affects the smoke flavor. Again, I don't notice much difference...maybe my taste buds are defective lol! But regardless, I don't worry about the bark.

Red

Reactions: DukeSilver22
I see a few more lakes I think I mentioned those already that I'm going to address with the silicone caulk Just got to get around to buying it.

The experts may know better, but I doubt that small leaks exiting out of the cooking chamber matter very much. Heck, many people recommend leaving the exhaust wide open. It might mean a little heat imbalance but that would be fixed with tuning plates. And imbalanced heat is not even bad if you know where the heat is and place your meats accordingly.

What would matter more are leaks allowing excessive unregulated oxygen into the fire box. Or cold air entering the cook chamber. You wouldn't see either of these types of leaks.

I'm new to the cheapo offset game as well so take what I say with a grain of salt. But that what makes sense in my mind.

Last edited:
The experts may know better, but I doubt that small leaks exiting out of the cooking chamber matter very much. Heck, many people recommend leaving the exhaust wide open. It might mean a little heat imbalance but that would be fixed with tuning plates. And imbalanced heat is not even bad if you know where the heat is and place your meats accordingly.

What would matter more are leaks allowing excessive unregulated oxygen into the fire box. And you wouldn't see these types of leaks.

I'm new to the cheapo offset game as well so take what I say with a grain of salt. But that what makes sense in my mind.
I'm almost done with the seasoning of the grill, I did notice the imbalance with the heat as I'm seasoning it obviously I knew it was going to be hot or closer to the firebox so I didn't even try the aluminum pan with the water in it type of baffle while I was doing this I'm going to have to try that when I actually go to smoke something and see what happens with the temperatures. As you can see in the pictures there's a decent amount of difference from the right side to the left side. I think somewhere in the near future I'm possibly going to get some type of baffle plate I've seen so many hacks I don't even know what I want to try and what I want to steer clear of I've seen people putting fire bricks in the bottom of the cooking chamber this way they retain heat so if your fire starts going down and you're not monitoring it at least you still have that heat in the chamber from the fire bricks until you can get it back up the temps by adding more fuel.

Attachments

• IMG20230521105151.jpg
    IMG20230521105151.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20230521105159.jpg
    IMG20230521105159.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20230521105157.jpg
    IMG20230521105157.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230521105155.jpg
    IMG20230521105155.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 14
For me, I like to start with a chimney-full of red-hot lump charcoal, then put 2 or 3 medium-small splits on that coal bed.
I pretty much do like Red to get mine going. Remember to preheat your splits on top of the firebox ...... they take off and burn much faster.

I pretty much do like Red to get mine going. Remember to preheat your splits on top of the firebox ...... they take off and burn much faster.
That's what I'm liking doing right now between the seasoning and I currently have some wings and some mac and cheese in a cast iron skillet on there. I'm loving this lump charcoal over the other charcoal, seems like it lights fast and it smells a hell of a lot better. I did forget to put them on top of the box I actually started to put some inside on the side walls of the firebox and then they started catching fire I guess because the heat got so intense in there and they're pretty dried out. This should be done in about another 40 minutes so I'm hoping everything is good.

I put a little pan next to the opening filled with water to kind of create a baffle I don't think it's doing that well of a job because my right hand side where I have the temperature gauge It's almost a 50° difference between that one and the left hand side one. When I was seasoning this it wasn't that bad but I didn't put that little water pan baffle in there either.

did forget to put them on top of the box I actually started to put some inside on the side walls of the firebox and then they started catching fire
I have my firebox grates in a "V" pattern for better airflow around the fire and can slide splits inside the box at the bottom of the "V" on either side without them lighting, but prewarming on top is about as good.

Reactions: seenred
I just did everything seenred told me to do and I'm getting ready right now to season it again after I did all the power washing I got the Kohl's lit just waiting for them to get to the point that I need them. I bought oak and hickory hardwood lump charcoal yesterday I was at Walmart and saw it. It's the cowboy brand.
Keep an eye on the Cowboy brand. If I remember correctly there have been a few complaints about people finding mysterious objects in the bags. Rocks and metal fragments come to mind. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Chris

Reactions: seenred
Keep an eye on the Cowboy brand. If I remember correctly there have been a few complaints about people finding mysterious objects in the bags. Rocks and metal fragments come to mind. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Chris

You're correct. I don't doubt others have found junk in Cowboy lump, but I have not, so far.

I haven’t burned any Cowboy lump myself, but I’ve heard the same. I’ve had very good luck with B&B lump. Pretty affordable, and burns hot and consistent.

Red

I have my firebox grates in a "V" pattern for better airflow around the fire and can slide splits inside the box at the bottom of the "V" on either side without them lighting, but prewarming on top is about as good.

See... Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks Doug... I too have a \/ basket.. mine though looks like this \_/ ... And I like your idea of putting splits in the sides... never thought of it... Will give it a try the next time I get the Tractor out

Another purpose of the basket is to keep the coals congregated together which helps hold heat longer, ignites a new split faster, and cuts down on amount of fuel burnt ...

Reactions: seenred and DougE
See... Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks Doug... I too have a \/ basket.. mine though looks like this \_/ ... And I like your idea of putting splits in the sides... never thought of it... Will give it a try the next time I get the Tractor out

Another purpose of the basket is to keep the coals congregated together which helps hold heat longer, ignites a new split faster, and cuts down on amount of fuel burnt ...
I didn't come up with the idea to put splits in the firebox, but use it when I run the OKJ. "V" also keeps the ash out of the coal bed.

Chris
It's funny you should mention that, I just bought my daughter was messing with me and was watching what I was doing decide to open up the firebox door and throw a rock in there I did find a rock in the mix, and it was a pretty big one. Good to know that about them.

I've seen people I have seen people doing that I'm going to have to give it a try see how much better it is

Reactions: DougE
I haven’t burned any Cowboy lump myself, but I’ve heard the same. I’ve had very good luck with B&B lump. Pretty affordable, and burns hot and consistent.

Red
I have seen that brand but not at the big box stores It's at The smaller hardware store, Ace hardware. Going to have to give that a try

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky