I started salmon smoke without Pellicile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dammittater

Original poster
May 27, 2017
Stevens Point, WI
Long story short, I dry brined some salmon for a day and started the smoke. I made a very rookie mistake and didn’t let a Pellicile form. The recipe didn’t explain that enough and I checked out other receipes after I started the smoke. It was on for one hour and I pulled it in an attempt to form the Pellicile. Is there any hope for this? The salmon is still very moist but I am not sure what to do.

I think there's hope if you wiped them down to get rid of the creosote. Wipe and park them in front of fan for 30m for fastest pellicle. Good luck!

I can't help you much from there, have not run salmon or fish yet. Hopefully some one chimes in on hot vs cold with the salmon but more info needed. Use cure?

It’s fine, the pellicule is not absolutely necessary to make a great salmon in hot smoke. As long as it wasn’t dripping wet with water you will be fine. Cold smoke though the pellicule is mandatory.

If hot smoking, the heat evaporates the surface moisture as long as you have dabbed with a towel on the surface.

Without a pellicle, the fat between the layers of flesh will ooze out and you will have dry, tasteless fish...

proper pellicle...

salmon pellicle.jpg

Fat between the meat layers...

0021.JPG

Last edited:
Without a pellicle, the fat between the layers of flesh will ooze out and you will have dry, tasteless fish...

proper pellicle...

View attachment 638200

Fat between the meat layers...

View attachment 638204
Generally Dave, I don’t disagree with you, but here I will. The fat melt is more a product of temperature than a pellicule. The pellicule help with smoke adhesion but plays no roll in final dryness of fish. That is the product of internal temperature. I don’t take any fish beyond 130 internal temp, fat is safe, fish is juicy and moist always.

Pellicule is for smoke adhesion, internal temperature is for moistness.

Reactions: daveomak
For hot smoked salmon, I no longer fool with brining, or letting it form a pellicle. I just pat the fish dry, season, and into the smoker. I don't see much difference from when I used to do the brine/pellicle. Now cold smoking is a different animal, as has been said.

Reactions: 912smoker
For hot smoked salmon, I no longer fool with brining, or letting it form a pellicle. I just pat the fish dry, season, and into the smoker. I don't see much difference from when I used to do the brine/pellicle. Now cold smoking is a different animal, as has been said.
Never cold smoked Doug but use the same method as you on the heat. Wife loves salmon so we average at least 2 cooks a month.

Keith

Wife loves salmon so we average at least 2 cooks a month.
Same here. My wife's all time favorite meal is salmon with asparagus and rice. Salmon is also one of the few fish she will even eat. Being from Louisiana, you'd think she'd be big on shellfish and most any fish, but nope.

Generally Dave, I don’t disagree with you, but here I will. The fat melt is more a product of temperature than a pellicule. The pellicule help with smoke adhesion but plays no roll in final dryness of fish. That is the product of internal temperature. I don’t take any fish beyond 130 internal temp, fat is safe, fish is juicy and moist always.

Pellicule is for smoke adhesion, internal temperature is for moistness.

I agree.... BUT, newbies would NEVER cook salmon to 125-130.... They cook it to death....
I was invited to a BBQ... Everyone said his salmon was delicious... I walked over to his BBQ and there was this beautiful, filleted king salmon in an aluminum foil boat, covered and simmering in some liquid with lemon, limes and oranges floating all around.... I couldn't choke it down....

Thank you! I also changed it from a hot to a cold smoke.
Is/was your definition of a cold smoke, without any heat? If without heat, the more important it is to have pellicle formed. At least when I do it, it is.

The only time I don't deal with forming pellicle is when I'm grilling or baking our Salmon as an entree, to an IT of 130+ All my smoked Salmon, either hot or cold smoked is a snack food and goes thru the typical brining, pellicle forming process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky