I planted 43 seed varieties (Milpa Garden) all mixed together...in a 100 yard long garden test strip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Trying something new at the farm. Planted a test strip that is about 100 yards long and maybe 12-15 feet wide of Milpa Garden seed mix by Green Cover Seed.
I lightly disced (about 2-inches), hand-broadcasted the seed and lightly disced again to cover the seed and then wheel rolled it with the Ranger. It is coming up but we are about 6-inches behind in rain and in a severe drought.

Here is the seed in this blend. Excited to see this come up...it will be a fine mess!
  • Assorted Squash Varieties, Cucumbers, Watermelons, Pumpkin, Gourds, Cylindra Beet, White Cloud Swiss Chard, Impact Forage Collards, Nitro Radish, Purple Top Turnip, Florida Broadleaf Mustard, Roquette Arugula, Hubam White Sweet Clover, Crimson Clover, Chia, Red Ripper Cowpeas, Mung Beans, 4010 Spring Forage Pea, Mancan Buckwheat, Mammoth Sunflower, Black Oil Sunflower, Golden Flax, Okra, Grazing Popcorn, Borage, Garland Daisy, Sweet Alyssum, Baby's Breath, Marigolds, Four O Clock Flowers, Cornflowers, Calendula Flowers

Presentation1.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Sounds interesting! Hope you get some rain so it grows. Curious to see how it turns out!

Ryan

So are the deer . Might want to move a tree stand close by .

chopsaw chopsaw - I am hoping not but will have a camera on it since a lot of the plants looks like it should be in a salad :-) ChatGPT identified 9 (of the 43) plants in the blend will be targeted by the deer.

But the deer have choices...I have 12 acres of food plots planted and I recently used prescribed fire for about 25 acres of hardwood forest so lots of native browse is coming up. Just need rain bad.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky