I need some help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ee-smoker

Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Florida
Hey guys,

I finally decided to get on a forum to ask for help. I am a total armature at smoking meats. I've smoked 3 briskets 1 rack of ribs and some chicken.

Im using Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Standard that i got off amazon, i know its cheap but its my first time ever grilling.

I really want to get a tender brisket and i haven't been able to. Here is what ive been doing. 

Trim it, then put my Rub on the meat the night before, wake up early about 7 or 8 and let it sit for 30 min to an hour while i get my fire going. Put it on on the grill fat side up and smoke it at around 225 - 250 for 1.5 hours per pound while spraying it with apple juice about every 2 hours. for the last 2 hours of the cook i wrap it in foil tightly. The temperature never gets past 150 or 160ish and ive done this exact process for a 5.5 pound brisket that ive smoked for about 11 hours. it doesn't make sense?

Can someone give me advice?

In short your not cooking long enough try 190-200 each piece varies use a toothpick or probe to tell when it's done should slide in like butter hope this helps:grilling_smilie::grilling_smilie:

EE-smoker, welcome to SMF!  Glad you are here and looking for some advice.  Be sure to stop in over at Roll Call and say "hi" so folks know you are around.

I don't have your smoker but I am familiar with the process.  Unless you've added a grate level thermometer, the therm on the CB Amer. Gourmet Offset is right at the top of the chamber.  That will always be the hottest area of your smoker.  Your exhaust is also fairly close to the top of the chamber.  Depending on how well your smoker is sealed, the grate can be 50-75F cooler than the top, possibly more.  I suspect you are actually smoking the meat around 150-200F, which could explain why the temp never gets above 150-160F in the time frame you mentioned. 

If you don't have one already, you can pick up a cheap oven thermometer at the grocery store ($5 or $6, see pic) that is designed to sit on one of the shelves of your oven.  You can use it in your smoker on the grate too.   You'll be able to confirm the difference between the thermometer at top of your smoker and the thermometer on the grate, then adjust the chamber temp upward until you get the grate temperature desired.

Hey, sorry for the terribly late response. Noboundaries, you were on the money. I did exactly what you said and i was able to get an amazing brisket. It fell apart and my family was super impressed!

EE - (Electrical Engineer) i was trying to design a thermometer that can send temp values to my phone and this oven thermometer is going to help me calibrate my thermocouple. You have helped me a lot more than you know!

Thank you again.

For some more information -- my smoker is off about 70-100 degrees from dome to grate temp. My next smoker i will buy carefully. 

Last edited:

Hey, sorry for the terribly late response. Noboundaries, you were on the money. I did exactly what you said and i was able to get an amazing brisket. It fell apart and my family was super impressed!

EE - (Electrical Engineer) i was trying to design a thermometer that can send temp values to my phone and this oven thermometer is going to help me calibrate my thermocouple. You have helped me a lot more than you know!

Thank you again.

For some more information -- my smoker is off about 70-100 degrees from dome to grate temp. My next smoker i will buy carefully. 
Here is some info on what you describe. I trust you can figure out how to make your own but this way you can evaluate if your time and parts are more cost effective...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/215708/maverick-et-733-vs-mackerick-et-735-vs-igrill2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky