I Need help getting my electric smoker to produce more smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alpha Texan

Original poster
Nov 13, 2019
Howdy folks, I'm a college student and recently began to try my hand at smoking. I've been lurking here for a couple months to learn some stuff and finally created an account to join the fun, so I hope I'm doing this right.

I bought a Masterbuilt 130B Digital Electric Smoker. I know, I know, it's not true smoking, but it's the best this college kid can do for now. When I fire it up, it produces a good amount of smoke for about 2 hours, and then it just stops producing smoke. I've used apple, hickory, and mesquite wood chips, all go the same. I always keep a pan of water, or the brine in their with the meat. Could that be preventing it from creating smoke and if so, how do I find that balance so it will smoke by taking out the pan without drying out the meat?

Any tips and suggestions are welcome!

Add flavor without losing heat

Patented side wood chip loading system - add wood chips without opening door

1573672398338.png

I found adding 1/4 cup of chips every 45 minutes or so worked very well...

Welcome from East TN glad you joined up!

How often are you adding chips?

Just my 2 cents but the best thing you can do is ditch the chips and get an AMNPS. Stands for an Amazen pellet tray. Most MES users on here have gone to this. Gives you continuous smoke for 10-12 hours without having to keep reloading the chip dumper and getting inconsistent smoke.

The MES is also very well insulated and a water pan is not needed most of the time.

1573672775687.png

Above is a GREAT tool to add to your smoking arsenal... Todd has sales about every couple of months or so... He developed, invented and is a member of the Admin team here...

I have a mes 30, to me it's smoking, as mentioned above I don't use any water, just foil the water pan and put it the smoker to deflect the heat, I also use the amnps tray with the mail box mod. also the mes won't produce using the chip loader until you get it to about 200 degrees. if your soaking your chips I wouldn't bother just use them dry. is your top vent wide open.don't trust the mes thermometer they are know to inaccurate. if possible get a second thermometer , test it for accuracy in boiling water and go by that. also check out bearcarvers step by steps he has a lot info on the masterbuilts.

Alpha Texan, if you're producing smoke using wood you are smoking. Heat source is different, but hey- smoke is smoke. The guys above me have given you some pretty solid tips.

Welcome from East TN glad you joined up!

How often are you adding chips?

Just my 2 cents but the best thing you can do is ditch the chips and get an AMNPS. Stands for an Amazen pellet tray. Most MES users on here have gone to this. Gives you continuous smoke for 10-12 hours without having to keep reloading the chip dumper and getting inconsistent smoke.

The MES is also very well insulated and a water pan is not needed most of the time.
I add chips every 45-60 minutes. I'll look into that!

All of the above...I use the chip tube for short smokes and the AMNPS for longer ones.
Very interesting, everybody is recommending this. So do I simply load the pellets in this little tray and set it in the smoker? should I just set it on the lowest rack or try to get it by the heating element or what?

To everyone suggesting the AMNPS, should I get the tray or the cylindrical one, and where would y'all recommend placing it in the smoker?

Edit: also, what brand or type of pellets should I get?

Thank y'all so much, this is very helpful!

Very interesting, everybody is recommending this. So do I simply load the pellets in this little tray and set it in the smoker? should I just set it on the lowest rack or try to get it by the heating element or what?
You need to get a fire starter, i use a heat gun..set one end on fire, let it burn a minute or two, blow it out then you are good to go with the smoke bud.

Place it down by the element, on a rack under your meat....works great either place.

There are a BUNCH of posts on the AMNPS. I love using it for pulled pork because it can smoke for 9-11 hours. They sell it on Amazon - which is where I would buy it if you have PRIME. Search for AMNPS - pops right up.

If not buy it from https://amazenproducts.com/

You can get the A-MAZE-N pellets from either place but ONLY get their pellets. Other pellets are full of tasteless filler products.

What brand of Pellets? A-MAZE-N, of course! Todd invented the Maze specifically to work in his MES. He carries more flavors of 100% Smoke Wood Pellets than any other company. Todd's Customer Service is second to none and, as mentioned above, there are frequent Sales making his Products a great value...JJ

Howdy folks, I'm a college student and recently began to try my hand at smoking. I've been lurking here for a couple months to learn some stuff and finally created an account to join the fun, so I hope I'm doing this right.

I bought a Masterbuilt 130B Digital Electric Smoker. I know, I know, it's not true smoking, but it's the best this college kid can do for now. When I fire it up, it produces a good amount of smoke for about 2 hours, and then it just stops producing smoke. I've used apple, hickory, and mesquite wood chips, all go the same. I always keep a pan of water, or the brine in their with the meat. Could that be preventing it from creating smoke and if so, how do I find that balance so it will smoke by taking out the pan without drying out the meat?

Any tips and suggestions are welcome!
I found that with my electric smoker it holds heat so well the electric heater element does not come on once smoker is at temp, electric element has to be on to burn the wood chips. I open the door from time to time to lower the temp inside smoker so electric element comes on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky