I need a kick ass baked bean recipe!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here ya go Wynn, hope it kicks your butt and then some!! :D

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional) 8)
1 - 55 ounce can Bush's Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250°F smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160°F ) or place in a 350°F oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard. :roll:

Reactions: fowldarr
Earl

Perfect timing on this post! If you caught my post yesterday in the "What's everyone cooking this weekend" thread, you know that I've got 6 slabs of ribs to smoke for Mom's B-day dinner tomorrow. Your bean recipe is going to make the perfect side dish. I'll probably have to split it into two batches, though, cause I like 'em hot, but there are afew "tenderfoots" in the family that won't handle the jalepenos to well.

Thanks for the great tip! 8)

Cheers,
Brian

Well Brian like they "Timing is everything"! Glad I could help with Mom's B-Day dinner.

Don't forget to smoke the skirt meat and add them to the Beans too!

EarlD

Mom's birthday dinner was a smashing success! Your bean recipe was a big hit...everyone loved them! Thanks again!

To any and all reading this thread; I highly recommend this recipe. I used only one good sized jalepeno (seeded) instead of two, but the heat level was just right enough to be noticed but not so hot as to offend the tenderfoots. IMHO, they were the perfect compliment to the spare ribs.

This one is a definite keeper, in my book.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian, I'm glad that everything turned out well. The bean recipie is one that I have been working on for the past year. I think I'm finished tinkering with it. . . :D

Go right on ahead Wynn- I originally developed this recipe for some friends of mine that really like their jalapeno peppers. If Anchoâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s make ya happy go for it!! :D

Hey I just noticed something!!! This is my 100th post!!

Hey Wynn,I think EarlD done you right,sounds like bout what I do.The only difference is instead of ketchup I load it down with my favorite BBQ sauce.Gives it a little kick.David

I make smoked up beans just about the same way... I've never tried pineapple chunks, but heck I like sweet beans.. I'll have to try 'em...

Also, instead of the bacon, I use some left over pulled pork or chopped brisket... and instead of the ketchup, I use the same amount of a good BBQ sauce... Good Eats all the way!

James.

Earl D,

I tried your bake bean recipe. My highest complements! It was easy and delicious. All the flavors, including the pineapple, really complemented each other. I recommend it to all of the rest of you.

Scott

Scott, Thanks for your comments. It does this ol Chef's heart good when folks gives good feed back. It took a while to develope and it's a real favorite at my house. In fact the kids have told me that I can't do 'Que if I don't do the beans! :shock: :D

Hey Earl,

I made my version of the beans this past Sunday... The pineapple chunks I got were... well, a bit too chunky... I gave them a ride in the blender for a few seconds to break them up a bit and added them to the pot... I gotta say, the pineapple addition was pretty darned good!

Thanks for the idear... goes to show that old dogs really can learn new tricks!

James.

Ok, I must ask, Is the skirt the part that you pull off the back of the ribs before smoking? If so, do you put that in the smoker the whole time you smoke the ribs?
Im gonna smoke ribs this weekend and definately do the beans. They sound delicious.

Rock- Here is part of the answer from my recipe: NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

The skirt is from the bone side-it's what makes up the diaphragm, also I like to take some of the meat from the rib tips and add to the beans.

Hey Rock!

I thought I'd chime in here and personally vouch for this recipe. I tried it when Earl first posted it last summer and it has since become a regular staple at my table each and every time that I fire up the smoker for ribs or pulled pork. Even my kids love 'em, which is good cause that leaves more ribs for me! :twisted:

Cheers,
Brian

Well this is getting added to my pulled pork on Saturday. Just wish I could get some fresh corn to smoke. O well Pulled pork, this, and a Saturday night NASCAR race what can be better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky