I need a ground beef jerky primer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papa chubby

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
Frankfort, KY
I've done tons of regular jerky and just ordered a gun for making jerky out of ground meat that should be here soon. I've been reading posts about ground jerky and have a couple of questions:

My typical recipe has about 5 oz of liquid ingredients per pound of pre-dried meat. Probably overkill but I like it to be good and juicy. From what I'm seeing on here, you don't use nearly as much liquid ingredients with ground beef. Is that correct and, if so, what's the maximum amount per lb. that you recommend?

I've seen a lot of comments about cures. I've personally never used one with sliced meat and never had an issue. Is ground meat different? Is a cure necessary when drying ground meat?

Thanks!!

PC, I can't help you with your question about liquid mix but I can answer your cure question. You need to add the appropriate amount of cure #1 to your mix for your safety and others who eat your jerky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky