I need a basic Bacon Cure recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey! Yo! I'm the originator of this thread, thanks for all the responses

so I'm 4 days into a 6 day bacon cure. I used the 'Cure Calculator' this time, because I guessed last time and it was WAY too salty. I hate wasting meat, but I doubt I'll ever eat it. Anyways, I did what the calculator told me to use, weighed it out on the scale........ So I've notice that I have very little juices draining from the meat... is this because I didn't use enough cure (salt/sugar/#1) or is it because I used the calculator and got it just right??? not sure what's going on.... I went with the calculator that was posted in this thread, but to double check myself i did run my numbers through another calculator I found online and it was calling for 20 grams more of salt.... Did I not use enough cure mix? if so am I screwed? add more the last couple days?

can you post amounts of what you used what you used and weight of meat, i'm sure you'll get your answer.

can you post amounts of what you used what you used and weight of meat, i'm sure you'll get your answer.

meat weight = 8.8lbs (3992 g)
salt used = 70g
sugar used 40g
cure#1 used = 10 grams

today was day 6, smoking it tomorrow a bit with some apple wood

meat weight = 8.8lbs (3992 g)
salt used = 70g
sugar used 40g
cure#1 used = 10 grams

today was day 6, smoking it tomorrow a bit with some apple wood
From what I can see your cure mix is right , whats the temp in your fridge.I just think some meat will leak more juice then others. I'm no pro but that's what I'm going with.

add more the last couple days?
No . If you used the calculator you should be fine . Some will show more liquid than others . Might soak it back up might not . I keep a therm in the fridge I use for this stuff . Do you know the temp in the fridge ?

No . If you used the calculator you should be fine . Some will show more liquid than others . Might soak it back up might not . I keep a therm in the fridge I use for this stuff . Do you know the temp in the fridge ?

yeah so, I realized that I didn't use any maple syrup on this cure which I usually do, this may explain the lack of liquid this round as i would imagine the syrup being a liquid would add to it.... So I really like the maple flavor, and since I've forgotten to add some during the cure, is it ok to brush maple syrup on it and continue to brush some on as it smokes?

I've never used it to cure with . I have brushed maple syrup on the slices while in the oven .

Reactions: smokerjim
i'm with chopsaw, i think you'll get more maple flavor adding while cooking or even after it's cooked then adding to the cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky