I made some bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I had a couple slabs of bacon curing but I never followed up with the results. I did some pretty exhaustive research on the process and found a goldmine of information on another site (Sorry, SMF) Having spent 40-odd years in the restaurant business, I was really concerned about food safety because of the relatively long processing time. I just didn't want to take chances.

I used a mostly wet cure. I sealed each 3# slab in a 2.5 gallon Ziploc storage bag I picked up at Walmart. Each had about 1.5 cups of liquid which was enough to keep the slabs covered during the cure.

Because our fridge was packed with pulled pork, ribs, potato salad, etc. from the 4th, I kept the bacon in a 60 quart cooler packed with ice for 6 days. I drained the water, added ice as needed, and turned the slabs daily.

For one slab I used the Asian recipe from Amazingribs.com and for the other I used a hybrid of his regular recipe and a couple others I found. Both turned out really well. Even my mother-in-law couldn't complain, which is highly unusual. Anyone old enough to remember Mikey in the Life cereal commercials?

My wife used about a half-pound of the regular in a pot of corn chowder. It came out phenomenal.

Asian bacon

Regular

Done!

Heatin' some up for a sam'mich!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your bacon looks real good.

Most of us use either Pop's brine, or dry cure with this calculator.

http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

I prefer the dry cure. All you need is a good scale.

Al
Thanks, Al! I have a pretty good digital scale. It's designed for postage/shipping and weighs up to 80 lbs. Even though it has a small footprint it has a tare function which allows me to put a large pan on it.

I now have a 3 gallon bucket with a lid I bought for a big chicken so next time I'll try brining it.

mmm bacon 
pig.gif
 looks great 
icon14.gif

Thanks, Al! I have a pretty good digital scale. It's designed for postage/shipping and weighs up to 80 lbs. Even though it has a small footprint it has a tare function which allows me to put a large pan on it.

Think about getting a scale that goes from 0-100 grams.....   something similar to this....;

Forgot to mention mine does standard & metric, too - pounds/kilograms, ounces/grams. Got it on eBay a few years back for about $20. Verified it with a set of weights up to 3# and it's dead on. It's made by a company named Saga. Made in China of course but it does the job.

Forgot to mention mine does standard & metric, too - pounds/kilograms, ounces/grams. Got it on eBay a few years back for about $20. Verified it with a set of weights up to 3# and it's dead on. It's made by a company named Saga. Made in China of course but it does the job.
Sorry to be a PITA ....  BUT....  You can NOT accurately weigh 5 grams of cure on an 80# scale.... 

It would be like the doctor weighing your new born son at a highway truck scales....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky