I learned from this Site

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badmaners

Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone. My name is Rob and basically did a bunch of reading here at SMF. Over the last winter I decided to build a small smoker/Grill for a different type of flavor vrs a propane grill.  My wife is a foodie. After salvaging through my junk, and asking a few buddies for some help here and there, this is what I came up with. Definately some learning curves ahead to be had. Right now we're covered in a few feet of snow so the beast will have to wait untill spring to start smoking again. Last fall my wife and I used it alot for charcoal grilling. And a couple times for Smoking with success.

Any questions feel free.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/g/i/291555/a/178605/first-time-out/

Hello Rob and welcome!  That rig is quit a contraption!  I don't think I've ever seen another quite like it.  Very cool!  I'm looking forward to seeing some more shots of it in action.

Have fun and happy smoking!

Red

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello Rob, and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm an avid ATV'r on various forums so bare with me as I figure this one out. Another month or 2 and I'll be able to dig out the beast. Can hardly wait really. Been a long winter up here.

Everyone that see's my smoker generally asks a few questions lol. Like "what were you on when ya thought that up"?

So far I've been using Cherry wood that was donated to me from a co-worker. I'm eyeing up a dead apple orchard now. Would really like some Mesquite but it costs dearly up in the north. Even Hickory would make a nice blend but I'm not buying axe handles yet.

I'll try and get more frequent on here as our weather warms up some.

Regards,

Is the term "Indirect Horizontal Combination Grill Smoker" correct? lol

And should I be hanging out in the "Wood Smokers section"?

Last edited:
Well Rob, that's is a new twist for indirect smoking! how does the heat transfer work for you? I'm thinking that you would have some thermal loss through your transfer pipes

Welcome to SMF and

Enjoy the Smoke!

Hey Rob

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Well Rob, that's is a new twist for indirect smoking! how does the heat transfer work for you? I'm thinking that you would have some thermal loss through your transfer pipes

Welcome to SMF and

Enjoy the Smoke!
Funny you asking about the heat transfer. Hit the nail on the head. As memory serves, my highest temp was about 288F. This year I'm going to wrap the 2 flex pipes in Hot Rodders "Header Wrap". Cheap solution at about $30. I've only ever smoked with it in warmer temps knowing I'd lose too much temp. My Pork shoulder took about 12 hours and a 12 pack lol. This smoker is a job, I mean hobby....Can only get better with time. The goal was to NOT use any fossil fuels at all. IE:propane or electric elements. My real big issue is the white vrs blue smoke. I have to run all vents wide open to achieve this. Not sure if my wood was to wet. Find out this spring when I fire it up again.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky