i learned a newbie lesson

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

panhead

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
new york
i found out today that the brand of briquetes makes a great difference,,i also learned that if the charcoal isnt doing the right job you wont raise the temp by throwing more coal into the fire...i will never again buy bargain home depot charcoal

if yer gonna use briquettes i suggest this- it's what i do - sam's choice(60%bigger) charcoal for $4.80ish & an 18lb.bag, bag of kingsford mesquite infused in the tan & black bag & a bag of mesquite chunks- start off w/ 2 handfuls ea. charcoal & 3-5 large mes. chumks(go to the bottom of the bag). add a handful(i have a brink smoke-n-pit offset, better known as the fuel hog 5000)every hour or when yer temp drops to 225 grate temp- choke the intake vent, not the stack vent(always run 1/2 open)water pan on the 1st grate(wrapped in foil)charcoal pan highest to lowest from left to right(if thats where your woodbox is ).check out the silver smoker mods thread under wood burners. i didn't see what you run but hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky