I just built a wooden smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mountainman88

Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Where do I put the inlet and outlet for air.and do I need to insulate it.i live in ga.im gonna cold smoke init
D05F22CC-A036-48CA-B084-67DF096E780D.jpeg
D44C294C-F493-4597-B901-5B70D743146E.jpeg
D65E58B0-7AA2-45D3-9851-41CD210C05E3.jpeg

Reactions: Hawging It
Your inlet will depend on what kind of smoke generator (fire box) you are going to use, some enter from the bottom and some are piped in from the side. A good spot for the outlet vent is the gable and can be hinged or a slider. The inside is screened to keep flies out. There are tons of plans online.

shed-smokehouse.jpg

Your inlet will depend on what kind of smoke generator (fire box) you are going to use, some enter from the bottom and some are piped in from the side. A good spot for the outlet vent is the gable and can be hinged or a slider. The inside is screened to keep flies out. There are tons of plans online.

shed-smokehouse.jpg
I gonna use a wood heater

Yes I know where to put the outlet but nowhere I look shows where to put a inlet

"Wood heater" as in a wood burning stove? If that is what you are talking about does it have a vent build into the door? I would think you could get a 90° fitting for the stack and run several feet of pipe to get to the smoke house. You need a good run to cool the smoke.

So I need a smoke stack ? Yes a tent stove that burns wood no holes in the door. Want I still need a inlet for air?

So I need a smoke stack ? Yes a tent stove that burns wood no holes in the door. Want I still need a inlet for air?

Not necessarily, I just found this picture because the barrel style smoke generator was similar to a wood burning stove. I would start with a gable vent and see how that drafts before cutting a hole in the roof for a vent.

Okay, no vent in the door of the stove, what kind of vent does it have? I'm thinking once you connect the stack on the stove to the side or bottom of the smokehouse it should draft just like it normally does.

Not necessarily, I just found this picture because the barrel style smoke generator was similar to a wood burning stove. I would start with a gable vent and see how that drafts before cutting a hole in the roof for a vent.

Okay, no vent in the door of the stove, what kind of vent does it have? I'm thinking once you connect the stack on the stove to the side or bottom of the smokehouse it should draft just like it normally does.
The stove does have vents in the door.so I want need two vents?do I need to insulate my smokehouse

The stove does have vents in the door.so I want need two vents?do I need to insulate my smokehouse
Maybe my thoughts are confusing (which is not unusual).... I'm thinking that the stove itself is self sufficient with regards to the way it drafts, (intake of air and exhaust of smoke to the stack). When you connect the stack on the stove to the smokehouse, and there is an open vent in the smokehouse...., I think the stove will fill the smokehouse and vent through the gable vent.

Maybe my thoughts are confusing (which is not unusual).... I'm thinking that the stove itself is self sufficient with regards to the way it drafts, (intake of air and exhaust of smoke to the stack). When you connect the stack on the stove to the smokehouse, and there is an open vent in the smokehouse...., I think the stove will fill the smokehouse and vent through the gable vent.
Thanks do I need to insulate my smokehouse so I only need one gable bent?

The vent has no bearing on insulation, it's function is to permit the drawing (or draft) of the smoke from the stove. Being in Georgia, I don't know if you need insulation for cold smoking, but I would think you would not be using the smoke house in the middle of summer.

The vent has no bearing on insulation, it's function is to permit the drawing (or draft) of the smoke from the stove. Being in Georgia, I don't know if you need insulation for cold smoking, but I would think you would not be using the smoke house in the middle of summer.
I want be useing it in the summer. Only winter and it gets down to 30 degrees in winter.so you think no insulation? And only one vent a gable vent on the smokehouse no vent anywhere else on the smokehouse?

30° is fine for cold smoking. I've got 4# of cheese in my cold smoker right now and the outside temperature is 10°.

I'd start with one regular gable vent. Maybe make it 1/2" larger if it's not working? Or add a second one on the other gable. When you are not following a proven plan, you can expect to improvise.

Do not install a stack in the roof... Condensate collects and drips on your food.... Install forced air floor registers in the walls... Top of the walls and bottom of the walls... No condensate doing that...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky