I Have Stupid Questions (Drum Smoker)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PIT Shawn

Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
Ogden, UT
I was finally able to get my OK Joe's Bronco smoker (I had to order it). Got it built today and tomorrow I plan on firing it up for the first time!

1) So, is one good test burn generally enough to get rid of that manufactured metal smell? And should I go for a high temp burn to accomplish that or can I start right away with trying to regulate the temp. I guess I'm asking if 250F is enough.

2) When I cook for the first time, I'm looking for an easy recipe. Perhaps some chicken parts or maybe a rack of baby back ribs. I'm a good cook (love to cook) but totally new to smoking so I don't want to start with something too advanced.

3) About how much charcoal should I load up for the first cook assuming it is only going to be a few hours of cooking time?

4) 3-2-1 ribs sound great but when cooking only 1 rack should I adjust those times a bit? Multiply everything by 2/3?

Thanks for any replies. I know this is going to be a steep learning curve and I'm not looking for restaurant quality at first. Also, for reference I have a wifi thermometer that I plan on using to monitor temp at the grate and I'm using Kingsford blue charcoal.

Reactions: JC in GB
Didn't it come with instructions?
With UDS barrels you want to do a high temp burn out for at least 20 minutes then choke down the air flow to bring the temps down to around 225* when you get the temps down around 225* you want to spray every bare metal part inside the drum down with a veg. oil and let it burn itself out at the lower temp to season the bare metal.

Sure you can burn it out at higher temps for 20-30 minutes than choke it down and start cooking on it but really you'd be better off seasoning it first before you start cooking on it.

A few fires also give you time to learn fire control which could save you from messing up a first cook.
I personally would burn it out for a while with all the vents wide open for 20-30 minutes then start closing off the air inlets to learn what the adjustments do. Vacuum it out the next day then spray everything down with veg. oil and start a low and slow fire trying to keep it around 225-250* then let the coals burn themselves out.

Then you know for sure that it's ready to cook and by then you should have a good idea on how to control the temps. Half a bag of coals for the burn out than the other half for the seasoning burn.

I never recommend 3-2-1 ribs but if that is what you want to do, it doesn't matter if you're cooking one rack or 4 racks, you don't adjust the time for fewer racks. I personally always recommend 3-4 hours unwrapped for spare's 2.5-3 hours for loin back/ baby backs. I spray my ribs down with 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 3/4 cup H2o every 30 to 40 minutes. You will know when your ribs are done when you pick them up by one end, and they bend down and feel flexible and have 1/2''- 1'' of pull back.

Any smoker you use heat is controlled with the air inlets and amount of fuel/coals or wood splits and it's no different with a drum smoker. The exhaust should always be wide open unless you're done cooking and snuffing out the coals then you would shut down every vent/opening.

If you have any questions there are a million posts on the UDS forum, a drum is a drum start some fires and learn to control your temps by playing around with the vents. each adjustment may take up to 20 minutes to work so don't get crazy chasing temps, give it a chance to settle in.

If you don't have a good thermo buy and Inkbird remote Bluetooth thermo they are great, never rely on the built in thermo. they are often way off.

Good luck, nobody can tell you how your smoker cooks it's up to you to learn the nuances of your pit, that's half the fun of it....now start some fires and start playing around with the air intakes.

Have fun.
Dan

Thanks for the advice, Dan. I did invest in a InkBird WiFi. I’ll get good use out of it as my old probe for oven cooking died about 3 months ago.
No instructions. Also no meat hooks or hangers. I’m a bit miffed about that but I’m sure OK Joe’s will make it right and send me the missing parts.

forktender forktender has got you covered on the burn in and seasoning. If you have the time, start with a pork shoulder. They are pretty forgiving and it will give you a lot of time to work out the operation of your pit.

When you do your first smoke, I know you are going to want to get a good dose of that smoke flavor and you will likely use too much flavor wood. A very common mistake for starting smokers. I did it myself. You will only need about 1 chunk of flavor wood per hour. When I do ribs, I use about 1 cup of pellets and 2 small wood chunks over the entire cook.

Ribs are my favorite BBQ food and I don't blame you for wanting to start there. Ribs can be tricky to get just right. It has taken me a year and a half to finally get what I consider a perfect cook on ribs.

The 3-2-1 method is a very basic framework for cooking ribs. You will find that some variation of that method will give optimal results in your pit. It is a good place to start.

Also, a good rub is hard to do without on ribs. Trim and rub the ribs the night before your cook if you can. The flavor of the rub will absorb much deeper into the meat.

If you are having a hard time controlling your pit temp, you can always add a PID controller and blower to regulate your pit temp. That is what I use on my Baby Sarina.

Hope you have a satisfying first cook on your new pit.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky