I have a product question for you guy's and gal's about Kosmos pork injection.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
Let start off by saying that I have to smoke a few pork butts for my Father's 80th birthday party this weekend.
I'm going to smoke the butts Sat. for the Sunday party.

My first question is, have any of you ever used Kosmos pork injection on butts?

1628681919417-png.png

And how many butts do you think I need for 25 Sicilians (big eaters), mainly adults?

I was planing on two, or should I smoke three?

Most of the people will be traveling, so they won't be able to take any leftovers, and I really don't have the freezer space for a bunch of leftovers.

I'm a little worried about trying a new (for me) product on such an important family event, I honestly wouldn't even think about doing so except my Father gave me the stuff as a gift and I know he is going to ask me if I used it or not.

Thank you.
Dan

Have never used but could do up 1 butt to try it. I'm sure it won't ruin it. Not sure on the size butts you have but I would do 3 anyhow if not 4. Vac sealed leftovers don't take up much freezer space.
Good luck and Happy Birthday to Dad !

Reactions: forktender
We used Kosmo's Pork in 2019, 3 practice cooks and one competition. I found it a little on the bland side, but the phosphates did hold on to a lot of moisture. I believe the guy cooking pork mixed it with apple juice. He did use a finishing rub and re-introduced de-fatted foil juices back into the meat.

For pork amount.... take the cooked weight of one portion size X number of guests to get the total 'cooked weight'. Double that number for the raw weight. You don't quite loose 50% to trim and shrink, but the extra will be your buffer.

I've never used it , but the big attraction to those is the phosphates in the mix , and the flavor of course , but the phosphates will keep all the goodness inside the meat .
I make my own based on Dave's ham injection .

I'm with you 100 % . If he gave it to you as a gift you need to use it . I don't like new things for the first time either , but my guess is you'll be buying more .

Edit - I have no idea where I came up with this . I must have completely misread it . Just wanted to clear that up .
I looked at the website . It gave directions for the whole packet . Said up to 7 butts .
That always throws me a curve for smaller batches .

Also take the sodium in the injection into account when you season the surface .

Last edited:
Reactions: browneyesvictim
Figuring the butts would be in the nine pound range I'd smoke up three, inject one with the stuff your papa got you , maybe go with a different rub on each butt to shake things up. RAY

I've had some of that pork injection in my shopping cart for a while and haven't pulled the trigger yet. And just like TNJAKE TNJAKE I have had excellent results with the poultry and beef injections! I just debated in my own mind if pulled pork butts really need it? They are already so juicy and since they are pulled, I can add any additional liquid and spice I choose back in or add on the back end. Now, if it were to be left whole and sliced as a pork roast, I can see where the injection would be the way to go!

However, In this case I am with chopsaw chopsaw ... Since it was a gift, you have to use it. I don't see any harm or foul that could go wrong either. Go for it Dan!

I agree on at least 3 if not 4.

I have used the Cosmos Beef injection before and loved it----I am sure the pork injection would be equally as good....Like someone else said, try it on one or two buts and compare.

Reactions: 912smoker
Have not used it but also make my own and a big fan of STPP based injections. Also agree to use apple juice for your base. I found my yield to around 80% when injecting due to the STPP. Zero pan juices only fat in my tray. Heads up the DI&DG in the Kosmos ingredients is basically accent/msg and really adds to the flavor.

Have not used it but also make my own and a big fan of STPP based injections. Also agree to use apple juice for your base. I found my yield to around 80% when injecting due to the STPP. Zero pan juices only fat in my tray. Heads up the DI&DG in the Kosmos ingredients is basically accent/msg and really adds to the flavor.
The use of phosphates and MSG can be found in many BBQ products marked "competition". It works and it wins. The first competition cooking class I took, one of the cooks had a 2# container of MSG. I use some Kosmo's injections and Big Poppa injections and Okridge Game Changer, but at home I use a much lower strength mixture. I'm such a big fan of DaveOmak's injectable ham cure I've used the same ratio on porkstrami and pastrami and I'll likely experiment with it in my beef or pork injections.

Thank you all very much, I've decided on making four butts and injecting two of them with the Kosmos diluted in A.J. It calls for 1/3rd cup of the dry injection, I'll use 5 tablespoons diluted in 1 1/2 cup of liquid for 7 lbs of meat. So basically I'll be a smidgen lighter than the called for amount of the dry mix as I'm not a huge fan of phosphates. The other two butts I won't inject at all, and I'll see which ones end up tasting better. Two will be done of the Camp Chef pellet gill and the other two will be done on the trusty old drum smoker.

In the end it will all get cleaned pull'd and combined into one big hotel pan.

I figure this way I can taste test the Kosmos, and that way I'll be able to tell my Pop's hell yeah I used your gift which will make him happy, and I'll be able to see which I like best.

I really appreciate the help and thoughtful responses from you guys, y'all are what keep me coming back to this site day after day.

Thank you all very much.
Dan

Yeah, I'll take some pictures, I've kinda been lagging in that department lately.:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: zwiller
Curious why you are not into phosphates. Is this first time ever injecting? I like to inject at least the night before and let it do it's magic.

Curious why you are not into phosphates. Is this first time ever injecting? I like to inject at least the night before and let it do it's magic.
Because I like eating cold BBQ leftovers, and the phosphates leave the fat globs in the meat.
I plan on injecting 2 of the butts with the Kosmos a night or two before they go in the pit.

Reactions: zwiller
Mmmmm. Fat globs. :emoji_laughing: In all seriousness, maybe a collegen glob. I don't think phosphate interacts with fat. Interesting observation though.

• Haha
The phos, binds the fat, so it doesn't run out of the meat, which is why phos. Injected meat don't reduce as much in size. It's not really globby fat, it's more like a coating of congealed fat that clings to the meat, it's great when it's reheated but not very appetizing when it's cold. When I inject, I normally inject consume', broth or fruit juices. I've tried Butches block Phos. a few times, but really dislike the texture due to the clingy fat that it leaves on the meat and anything that touches it once it cools.

Hopefully others chime in to confirm but don't think phosphate is the doing that and bet another ingredient is at play. Xanthan gum is well known emulsifier and is listed in Kosmos. I have never used anything but my own injections and do not use any emulsifiers and no fat globs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky