I FINALLY found a tank!!!!!!!!!! Actually two of them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey, im glad you were able to score some tanks!! I'm sorry i couldnt help, but it looks like this ended up being a much better deal. I cant wait to see what you come up with. Keep us all posted!! My build is on the back burner for a few months. I got busy all of a sudden, and dont have the free time necessary. GOOD LUCK!! ...and yes-the oil in those pigs will leave a nice smell for quite a while. I suggest pouring in several pounds of t.s.p. and letting it soak for a while before you purge them.

Hey guys I decided to try and dig this thread out of the darkness. After a very very slow start and a ton of life's interference I have actually got seriously going on this again! I cut the doors a few years ago and then it sat and sat and sat. We got my friend Ben's almost done and it sits and sits.

Very long story short I decided to use a woodstove I have ad a firebox and save myself a lot of work and have a well insulated firebox with dampeners already done. So I finally got the hole cut and the firebox located.

So next on the list is the reverse flow plates which will be 1/4 inch plate and I am using angle welded in for the plate to sit on they will not be welded. This is not going to be a trailer build I am putting this in my barn I am converting into a outdoor kitchen/smokehouse/fish cleaning station and will have my crab cooker smokers and fridge freezer stainless counters and sink and butcher room! It will be great to have my smokers out of the wind and rain in a heat controlled environment. This smoker will be done by August for a big party I am having so no more long gaps in updates.

You should probably read this thread which includes a formula for calculating the size and volume of a reverse flow smoker. 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...daveomak-and-others-ready-to-use-rev5-6-19-15

I think your firebox to cook chamber opening is going to be way too small to allow for proper airflow and will cause your firebox to over heat and your cook chamber will not get hot enough. 

I just ran the numbers on the calculator and acording to my numbers my firebox is 10400 cubic inches and the calculator minimum firebox volume should be 35,481 cubic inches. This puts the firebox dimensions at about 33x33x33 inches that is a huge box! So if I understand correctly I will be unable to build a fire hot enough to build adaquate heat in my cook chamber? I don't understand how more air volume in the firebox equals more heat in the cook chamber? I know I am not going to fill all that space with wood. I am certainly not saying it's wrong I am not a mathematician and I don't pretend to understand the numbers. Can somebody please explain?

Last edited:
Looks like you're going to end up with an industrial scale smoker 
Looks-Great.gif

You should probably read this thread which includes a formula for calculating the size and volume of a reverse flow smoker. 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...daveomak-and-others-ready-to-use-rev5-6-19-15

I think your firebox to cook chamber opening is going to be way too small to allow for proper airflow and will cause your firebox to over heat and your cook chamber will not get hot enough. 

I reread your post and saw you were referring to firebox to cook chamber opening. I need to go back to the calculator and figure out how many cubic inches my 8in dia opening is compared to what it should be. I put the cart before the horse and just decided to use what I have rather than build from scratch. Less work short term but most likely more work long term. I may have to do some cutting and build a new firebox

My idea behind using the 8in dia opening in the stove to the cook chamber is to add a guillotine style dampener to use for temp control so I can get it low for smoking salmon. I figured being able to control air in and air out of the firebox would allow me more temp control for lower temp cooking. I know I can make big adjustments in my vertical propane smoker using just the dampeners top and bottom. The more I think about it these adjustments would best be made at the air in from the firebox and the stack exiting the cook chamber correct?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky