I copied the "Smoke Ring" Fatty!! Lots of pics

Discussion in 'Fatties' started by tom knotek, Feb 4, 2013.

1. First off thank you to pokernut for the idea.  This is my Italian style, Marinara, mozz and provelone cheese, ham, pepperoni, and peppers and onions.  This beast weighed in at just over 7#.

Some pics of the candied bacon

mdboatbum likes this.
  2. mike johnson

mike johnson Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

That looks absolutely Delicious! Very nice job!!!

3. that fatty looks really good, thanks for sharing[​IMG]

4. looks great. i have to say that is one of the best fatties i have seen. great color.

happy smoken.

david

5. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Now that's the money shot! Looks like it tasted great!

6. Wow.... I could not be any more impressed!

Great choice of innards, I am going to recreate this one myself!

Well done Tom

7. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tom!  Now you and PokerNut have given me a reason to use my old bundt pan that doesn't bake well anymore.  Yipeee....that looks[​IMG] wonderful! 

8. hey guys thank you so much for the kind words.  Cant wait to make another one!!

9. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

That is really scrumptious looking , and what a genius use of the old bundt pan!
    Do you know offhand what the total cook time was on the fatty and what IT you pulled it off the heat at?
    That is a brilliant piece of cookery. Props to you and poker nut for a great idea.:yahoo:

10. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Super looking fatty!!!

Okay - so you gonna share how you prepared that candied bacon?  [​IMG]

11. Hambone, it took a total of about 6 hours at 220.  I pulled it off at 162 degrees.  Everything cooked perfect.  I also mopped it with my bbq sauce about 4 times over the last 2 hours.

PG, the candied bacon was just some dark brown sugar, cinnamon, and some crushed red pepper flakes. Baked on a small rack at 200 for and hour then jumped the temp up to 350 for about 10min.  My kids loved it.

12. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I do something very similar and call it spiced bacon

Brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and fine ground corn meal

13. That sounds awesome.  Once I made this I had more ideas of what to try on the next batch.

14. I'm gonna have to copy you!  Awesome, man.

edward

15. cranemansteve

cranemansteve Newbie

cool I never thought of doing one like that.............thanks for the ideal.........i got 3 breakfast and one pizza on the smoker as we speak............yum yum

16. is this sausage or beef? [​IMG]

17. Thanks Tom for posting your wonderful creation... I am bumping this up to the top of my must do smoking list. I really have never seen a more beautiful piece of work you have shared with us.

18. wow, that looks great

19. Hey guys thanks for the nice comments.  This was all sausage.  I used whatever I had.  Some Bob Evans regualar and spicy.  I had some bulk spicy italian and then bought some more spicy and regualr italian.  I had a total of about 4 1/2# of sausage.  I cant wait to do it again.

20. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Dude. that is simply awe inspiring. You can't see, but I'm doing the "I'm not worthy" bow at my computer screen. Seriously, I am.