I am lucky to be alive

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How quickly did all this happen?

Went in on a Mon morning for a hurting tooth. Dentist wouldnt even do anything. He said I needed an oral surgeon asap. Got in to one mid-morning 2 Mondays ago. I was in surgery that Thursday morning.

Scary stuff!
Nothing hits home like your own mortality staring you in the face... BTDT.

So others and I may learn from your experience, and not ignore a possible deadly threat.
What were your symptoms?
Just a tooth that started hurting. It waa ocassionally sensitive with cold foods.

• Wow
Reactions: chilerelleno
Hey everyone. I had a tooth that broke off and somehow I got a blood infection and another infection that got into the jawbone.

I had to have emergency dental surgery last week to pull the entire upper row. They were able to give me antibiotics, clean out the infection and put four implants in and a new row of teeth. I know there were some bone grafts put in the jaw bone as well.

I won’t be eating much bbq anytime soon. No ribs, brisket, steak or any of that.

On a good note, I am going to get to eat plenty of smoked meatloaf for the next 4-5 months as meatloaf is on the approved soft foods list.

The dental surgeon said if I had waited another week or two to get treatment, I probably would have died in my sleep. :emoji_hushed:

That kind of news is pretty sombering. I’m 42 and not ready to kick the bucket just yet.
Stay well dude. Sorry to hear that. :(

Glad to hear everything is going in the right direction. Oral issues can be very scary. I had my front teeth knocked out playing hockey in the late 70's(right before senior pics). Smoked meatloaf sounds like a great alternative for the upcoming holiday. Another one would be a good fatty.

I know it’s Saturday but after reading this I am going to brush my teeth…..

Glad you went in when you did MileHighSmokerGirl MileHighSmokerGirl

First time this year? LOL

Chris

Glad to hear you did the right things, and got lucky.
Take care now, at age 42, you got plenty of time to gnaw on the tougher Smoked Meats.
I just lost another friend, and Vietnam Vet; He started with a couple bad teeth, which moved to his sinus as an infection. Then cancer joined the party. Then they took his whole face off, scraped it clean in there, and put his face back on. That gave him about another 8 "Not too great" years.
Then he left. RIP Bobby.

So take care, Girl !

Bear

Went in on a Mon morning for a hurting tooth. Dentist wouldnt even do anything. He said I needed an oral surgeon asap. Got in to one mid-morning 2 Mondays ago. I was in surgery that Thursday morning.

Just a tooth that started hurting. It waa ocassionally sensitive with cold foods.
Thanks for the reply.
Wow, something so subtle indicative of something so dire.
I bet most of us if without dental insurance would probably ignore a badly chipped or broken tooth if it didn't pain us too bad.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
Hey everyone. I had a tooth that broke off and somehow I got a blood infection and another infection that got into the jawbone.

I had to have emergency dental surgery last week to pull the entire upper row. They were able to give me antibiotics, clean out the infection and put four implants in and a new row of teeth. I know there were some bone grafts put in the jaw bone as well.

I won’t be eating much bbq anytime soon. No ribs, brisket, steak or any of that.

On a good note, I am going to get to eat plenty of smoked meatloaf for the next 4-5 months as meatloaf is on the approved soft foods list.

The dental surgeon said if I had waited another week or two to get treatment, I probably would have died in my sleep. :emoji_hushed:

That kind of news is pretty sombering. I’m 42 and not ready to kick the bucket just yet.
Brutal, so glad they caught it when they did. Be thankful, very, very, thankful!!!
Eating bbq should be the least of your worries right now. Hang in there brother!!!
I have to have 7 teeth to pull. I’m wondering how much you suffered. I’m 70 their going to pull one for every decade I have lived. So how bad was the surgery?

That sounds just awful. Glad you are pulling through and I hope all heals well. I dont like the dentist much - too many crowns, root canals etc.

Glad to hear you did the right things, and got lucky.
Take care now, at age 42, you got plenty of time to gnaw on the tougher Smoked Meats.
I just lost another friend, and Vietnam Vet; He started with a couple bad teeth, which moved to his sinus as an infection. Then cancer joined the party. Then they took his whole face off, scraped it clean in there, and put his face back on. That gave him about another 8 "Not too great" years.
Then he left. RIP Bobby.

So take care, Girl !

Bear
Thanks

Sorry to hear about your Nam buddy dying. We Vietnam veterans are now at the age where we are can realize we are not bullet proof like many of us thought when we were 18. Many blessings…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky