Hypothetical Brisket question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It looks good! Honestly all bbq is better like 12 hours later or the next day as the flavors continue to develop and drive deeper hahaha.
Was it tender?
You can cook that thing just like a brisket, looks like plenty of fat in it.
Remember those cuts are done when tender not based on temp. Also big chunks of meat like that are hard to get good probe placement so often the temp shows high due to missing the best spot on the meat... hence always go based on tenderness all over not temp :)

Let us know how it was! :)

It looks good! Honestly all bbq is better like 12 hours later or the next day as the flavors continue to develop and drive deeper hahaha.
Was it tender?
You can cook that thing just like a brisket, looks like plenty of fat in it.
Remember those cuts are done when tender not based on temp. Also big chunks of meat like that are hard to get good probe placement so often the temp shows high due to missing the best spot on the meat... hence always go based on tenderness all over not temp :)

Let us know how it was! :)
Thanks!!!

I let it sit on the kitchen bench still wrapped for 40mins, temp went down to about 180F, then stuck it in a cooler for 5 hours. Pulled it out when it was about 145F.
Cut half of it up in slices. Honesty, never seen meat like this before, it was so tender and so moist. I may have over cooked it just a tad b/c, when I did the pull test it broke apart with virtually no force.

Anyway, never tasted meat like this before, so a very big thank-you to all who replied.

chuck3.png
chuck1.png

Looks good to me. Nice bark and great smokering. You said it was delicious and juicy, right? That's the main thing.

Reactions: Japan_Dave_
Wow, that looks awesome.

Congratulations on a job well done. My first brisket turned out really dry and tough, but it was long before I ever found these forums. I have learned a lot from the people on these forums and it has really upped my smoking game. I'm really wanting to do another brisket soon (would be #3 for me). I would really like to find a brisket like what you had.

How did the family like your brisket? I imagine in Japan, it is an unusual meal.

Reactions: Japan_Dave_
Thanks!!!

I let it sit on the kitchen bench still wrapped for 40mins, temp went down to about 180F, then stuck it in a cooler for 5 hours. Pulled it out when it was about 145F.
Cut half of it up in slices. Honesty, never seen meat like this before, it was so tender and so moist. I may have over cooked it just a tad b/c, when I did the pull test it broke apart with virtually no force.

Anyway, never tasted meat like this before, so a very big thank-you to all who replied.

View attachment 458586View attachment 458587

Dude it looks like you NAILED it!!!!

So in Texas (at least everywhere in TX i know) it seems like a common practice with a chuck is to do "chopped beef". Doing chopped beef means we do it to fall apart texture like you described and we pull it and chop it up... so basically the beef equivalent of pulled pork.

Now we also so "chopped beef brisket" out of brisket cuts which is the same thing but this mainly because brisket down here is way cheaper then chuck and with larger gatherings chopped goes a longer way, and is my personal favorite.

Now the FLEXIBILTY of cooking brisket over chuck is that you can do a brisket for slices like what is mostly posted here... BUT when a person comes along and wants chopped beef brisket you have the ability to cut a chunk or thick slices off the brisket then chop it up and serve chopped brisket. This way u get the best of both worlds!
With a chuck it is usually just cooked to chopped texture... so no slices as an option.

To me both brisket and chuck taste just about the same smoked as bbq. However the Point on a brisket is going to have the most flavor if you try chuck, flat, and point meat all separate in a taste test.

I hope this info gives you some good food for thought and lets you know that you basically nailed that chuck and it very likely came out almost identical to what you would have had with a brisket :)

Wow, that looks awesome.

Congratulations on a job well done. My first brisket turned out really dry and tough, but it was long before I ever found these forums. I have learned a lot from the people on these forums and it has really upped my smoking game. I'm really wanting to do another brisket soon (would be #3 for me). I would really like to find a brisket like what you had.

How did the family like your brisket? I imagine in Japan, it is an unusual meal.
Thanks, they loved it! Smoked meat like this is just not available in Japan.
That meat was USDA Prime, so you should be able to get it in the USA.

Dude it looks like you NAILED it!!!!

So in Texas (at least everywhere in TX i know) it seems like a common practice with a chuck is to do "chopped beef". Doing chopped beef means we do it to fall apart texture like you described and we pull it and chop it up... so basically the beef equivalent of pulled pork.

Now we also so "chopped beef brisket" out of brisket cuts which is the same thing but this mainly because brisket down here is way cheaper then chuck and with larger gatherings chopped goes a longer way, and is my personal favorite.

Now the FLEXIBILTY of cooking brisket over chuck is that you can do a brisket for slices like what is mostly posted here... BUT when a person comes along and wants chopped beef brisket you have the ability to cut a chunk or thick slices off the brisket then chop it up and serve chopped brisket. This way u get the best of both worlds!
With a chuck it is usually just cooked to chopped texture... so no slices as an option.

To me both brisket and chuck taste just about the same smoked as bbq. However the Point on a brisket is going to have the most flavor if you try chuck, flat, and point meat all separate in a taste test.

I hope this info gives you some good food for thought and lets you know that you basically nailed that chuck and it very likely came out almost identical to what you would have had with a brisket :)
Thanks. That some great information. What I ended up doing was shredding half of it and made some sandwiches, amazing!!!! Next time is a Brisket for sure.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky