Hummus Recipe using Instant Pot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zippy12

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 6, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Start from Dry Chickpeas rinsed

Put the following into your Instant Pot
  1. 1 C. dry Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
  2. 4 C. Water
  3. 3-4 cloves Garlic
  4. 2 Bay Leaves
*** DO NOT ADD SALT!***
Set IP to Beans for 35 Min and let the IP release on its own. Chickpeas should be very soft and some skins falling off - If not do another pressure cook at bean setting for 10 min...

In a food processor add the following:
1 1/2 cups (250 grams) cooked chickpeas from above *NOTE remove skins for creamier hummus*
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
1/4 cup (60 ml) well-stirred tahini
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 ml) of cooking water water from above
Dash ground paprika, for serving

20180503_213336.jpg

20180503_213448.jpg

Where is the rule written that you can’t add bacon to hummus? ...Just sayin brother.
Seriously. Nice post. Like! B

Where is the rule written that you can’t add bacon to hummus? ...Just sayin brother.
Seriously. Nice post. Like! B
The only rule about bacon: there are no rules.

I had bacon hummus. What do you get when you combine something great with something awesome: great awesomeness.

Reactions: bdskelly
Looks great zippy. I make hummus a lot, but in the traditional manner. I've been thinking about getting an Instant Pot, but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

In as far as incorporating meat to the hummus, I often add cooked minced beef that's been seasoned with the Middle Eastern spice blend "Baharat", and a few other items. It's over the top, but doesn't last long.

Like!

Thanks dls1! I was skeptical about taking dry chickpeas to soft with skins falling off, but it works in about 40min...

Just made a 5lb. batch. I cheated and bought 5 cans of chickpeas, I also put one jar of roasted red peppers, +1 anchovy for each can of beans.

5 lbs. is a Hell of a lot of hummus. I've incorporated roasted red peppers before, but not anchovies. I'll remember that.

I used 2 lbs. of raw chickpeas to make hummus on July 4 as a base for an appetizer for a small party. It evolved into a Lebanese dish known as "Hummus Kawarma" where the finished hummus is topped with minced and fried spiced lamb shoulder and a lemon-garlic-parsley sauce.

Reactions: zippy12
5 lbs. is a Hell of a lot of hummus. I've incorporated roasted red peppers before, but not anchovies. I'll remember that.

I used 2 lbs. of raw chickpeas to make hummus on July 4 as a base for an appetizer for a small party. It evolved into a Lebanese dish known as "Hummus Kawarma" where the finished hummus is topped with minced and fried spiced lamb shoulder and a lemon-garlic-parsley sauce.
Just google-d it. Sounds awesome. Post some pics.

It was awesome, thanks. It went fast.

Of the 1000s of hummus variations out there, it's easily my favorite. I was going to take a pic of the finished platter, but the guests finished most of it before I got to.
I know how i will do the next lamb cook

GrayWolf

Get off the cans ... too much salt! I as a American am off the fast easy corporate food ....

They are killing us slowly!

I know how i will do the next lamb cook

AS,

My go-to kawarma recipe that I've used many times is from London chef Yotam Ottolenghi's book, "Jerusalem: A Cookbook". Link to the recipe is below.
https://ottolenghi.co.uk/hummus-kawarma-lamb-with-lemon-sauce-shop

Note that he calls for lamb neck meat which I normally use but didn't have time to go to the Greek butcher I use for things like that so I just substituted shoulder. It worked fine. Also, I scaled the recipe up X 3.

I think you'll like the dish very much.

AS,

My go-to kawarma recipe that I've used many times is from London chef Yotam Ottolenghi's book, "Jerusalem: A Cookbook". Link to the recipe is below.
https://ottolenghi.co.uk/hummus-kawarma-lamb-with-lemon-sauce-shop

Note that he calls for lamb neck meat which I normally use but didn't have time to go to the Greek butcher I use for things like that so I just substituted shoulder. It worked fine. Also, I scaled the recipe up X 3.

I think you'll like the dish very much.
Lol,
Guess which recipe I saved after seeing you mention kawarma: Ottolenghi's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky