Humidity and Pellet smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eddiememphis

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Denver
I live in Denver where there is very low humidity (it's 27% right now, often much less). I have read the tiny, tasty little smoke particles adhere to food much better in a humid environment. Due to heat and the fan in the GMG, I am guessing there is very little humidity inside my grill.

I have a nice rib roast ready to cook and am thinking about bumping up the humidity inside the smoker by adding a water pan. Most of what I have read is about using the water pan to regulate temperatures in charcoal units. Obviously I don't have that concern with a temperature controlled unit.

Any high altitude or desert guys use a water pan in their pellet smokers? Does it make any difference in the intensity of smoke flavor?

Our Humidity is around 10% and I never have had an issue. Maybe give it a spritz if you think that might help.

Run your GMG at 180F for an hour or more then turn it to desired cook temp. I cook at 180F most of the time then gradually increase temp to finish off. The higher the temp the less smokiness.

In a pellet grill I would suggest using a good quality 100% pellet like Hickory, Pecan. I plan to use a blend of Hickory/Cherry/Maple but the 100% Hickory run at a temp of 225/275 (run it even lower if you want more smoke but it does add time.) That should give you a nice smoke aroma & flavor. It works for me.

Reactions: Jabiru
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky