Huge upgrade... Seasoning question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hoopers_Smokeshack

Original poster
Jul 3, 2021
Liverpool
Hi all,

So I recently purchased a new universal flow offset (stack is interchangable) and I have seasoned the inside as usual. Is there anything else I am supposed to do to it that I don't to a small smoker? Do I season the outside surface too, to guard against rust? Am I better to season the firebox too?

I just want to keep it in the best condition for the longest possible time, I have only fired her up once but damn is it fun using such a big piece of kit! Also, any wheel upgrade suggestions would be most welcome, the castors it has currentl are not the easiest to move it on... All advice is welcome actually, setting up a catering company is difficult! :emoji_laughing:

Thanks folks,

Hooper

Congrats, she’s a beauty. A lot of folks like to oil the firebox after cooks. Some do the whole cooker. Once mine is beautified I’m going to ponder this as well.

Reactions: Hoopers_Smokeshack
Good looking smoker. When I got mine I seasoned the inside of the cook chamber and firebox. Included the grates in CC. I also applied oil to the outside of the firebox. That step is not needed on the outside of the CC. I touch up the outside of the firebox from time to time to keep it looking fresh

Congrats, she’s a beauty. A lot of folks like to oil the firebox after cooks. Some do the whole cooker. Once mine is beautified I’m going to ponder this as well.

Do you mean oil the inside of the firebox too? Maybe I should have researched more BEFORE the purchase, there is so much more to consider when you're using a bigger rig :emoji_cold_sweat:

Good looking smoker. When I got mine I seasoned the inside of the cook chamber and firebox. Included the grates in CC. I also applied oil to the outside of the firebox. That step is not needed on the outside of the CC. I touch up the outside of the firebox from time to time to keep it looking fresh

I will probably do that then... I take it you wouldn't advise a light coating around the inside of the firebox?

Reactions: TNJAKE
There is absolutely no reason to season the inside of the fire box, because it won't hold up to one heat cycle. The same goes for the outside of the F.B. unless it is double wall insulated, it will burn right off.

Awesome looking smoker!!!

Last edited:
There is absolutely no reason to season the inside of the fire box, because it won't hold up to one heat cycle. The same goes for the outside of the F.B. unless it is double wall insulated.

Awesome looking smoker!!!

Thanks buddy, she is a great piece of kit! I'll try and do a full post with better pictures of it soon.

Yeah though, the FB is double wall insulated... So, season the outside and keep the inside just clean and in good order would be your advice?

Reactions: forktender
Thanks buddy, she is a great piece of kit! I'll try and do a full post with better pictures of it soon.

Yeah though, the FB is double wall insulated... So, season the outside and keep the inside just clean and in good order would be your advice?
Yes, Sir!!!
A lot of guys will spray the whole outside of the smoker with light mineral oil, which has a smoke point of 335*. They use a small pump sprayer like this. Just make sure it is "light" mineral oil.
1642723145704.png
1642723173808.png

Honestly, I'm not sure that I would season any of that smoker, seeing that it is made out of such heavy gauge metal. I would just wipe down the outside of it with a lint free rag and some light min. oil occasionally. It wouldn't necessarily be seasoning it as much as protecting the paint, is the paint flat paint or semi gloss? It looks flat too me, which will show grease spots. I have no idea why guys use flat paint on smokers, a semi gloss would be much easier to keep clean and still look pretty traditional.

In all honesty, if I knew that the metal was prepped correctly before it was painted, I would buy a cheap spray gun at Harbor freight and respray it in a semi gloss. I think they use flat paint because it's easier to touch up.

If you do nothing to the smoker it will last many lifetimes seeing that it is built as well as it is.
But I'm the type of person that can't leave well enough alone. LOL!!!

Best of luck with your new smoker, you're going to love it.

Dan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky