How's everyone's ET-732 working/holding up?

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by jp61, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

First I want to say, sorry Todd, I didn't know you sold these thermometers.... would've purchased it from you.

I got my ET-732 today...did the boil test twice. Both times the "barbecue probe" was 2° high and the "food probe" showed 212°. At room temp I've seen the barbecue probe show 2° high three times and three times match the food probe exactly, over a period of time and in the same location. Not perfect, but close enough.

This new model digital thermometer has been out for awhile now, so I was wondering how they're holding up for everyone?

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Mine is holding up just fine so far. I love the new range.

3. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Have only used mine a few times. I like it so far and the range is great. Just wish the probes would fit throw my eyelets on my WSM.

4. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Holding up Fantastic!

If you do get an error, it's probably because the jacks for the probes are not pushed in far enough.

"Operator Error!"

Todd

5. richc

richc Fire Starter

I just got mine from you yesterday and when I was testing it, I was getting errors because the jacks were not pushed in all the way. They feel like they went in all the way, but they weren't. I came here this morning specifically post that info so someone else did't think their unit was defective. Looks like you beat me to it though. 

And thanks for the quick processing and shipping. 

6. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I had one problem my first use.

My one probe was always reading a constant temp of 98°, I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong, my wife found the problem after reading the directions more closely...here it turns out that the short probe is for the smoke chamber and the whole time I thought it was a rectal probe....go figure..[​IMG]

Works Fine, no probs

7. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I love the range and convenience!

Only problem is beware the belt clip.  First time I bent over, it went south and dumped my receiver, batteries and battery cover all over the garage floor.  Now the alarm function doesn't work, but everything else works fine.  I never use the alarms anyway, so no problem.

I waited a long time to buy this due to the mixed reviews on the old ET 73.  It appears to me they have worked all that out.  This one performs as advertised.

Overall I am very happy, and Todd's customer service is the best.

8. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have only used mine on food once so far. And to SQWIB, NO mine has never read 98 degrees  LOL

It passed the boil test close enough for me. Hopefully I can wrap up the trailer and get back to smoking.

9. jp61

I'm using mine for the first time as I type. So far I really like it! Glad that I bought this thermometer because I would be lost without it while smoking with a MES40. Now I just have to wait and see how the butts and ribs turn out. Hopefully deliciously.

10. duanes

duanes Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

I had the same issue with the probes - you have ot push them in firmly or you get a read error.  The bracket for the transmitter does not snap on as tightly as my ET-73 and I knocked it off once.

Overall, it works better and addresses some of the issues with ET-73.  Much longer distance, don't have to take cover off of transmitter to turn on/sync, tells you when reciever is out of range, etc.,.

The probes are a little thicker than the eT-73 so I had to drill holes in side of smoker a little larger.

11. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yeah I guess I got a little confused when I read "slide probe into butt"

It is a Handy Dandy tool.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  12. jp61

Not a happy camper here! Used my ET-732 for the third time and found out that the "barbeque probe" took a crap! I'm sure they will replace it but, already.....? Is it a fluke or a sign of things to come?

13. fife

fife Master of the Pit

I have been using mine for 2 weeks now and all is well.[​IMG]

14. jp61

Called Maverick this morning... friendly costumer service, in and out under 5 min. with new probe on it's way. I hope this one will last longer.

15. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How are you cleaning the probe?

16. jp61

I used a soapy sponge making sure not to get any water on the cable or inside the probe, then dried it off with a paper towel.

17. jp61

Back in business! Recieved the replacement "barbecue" temp-probe in the mail this morning.

A+ for Maverick's customer service.

18. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yet another test proved what an awesome wireless unit this is.

I have the transmitter in the trailer,(with metal sides all closed up like when it travels) and the receiver in the far corner of the basement. The old mav only worked part of the time even with the ant mods.

I had one little fart out of it a little while ago but I hit the resync button and all has been well every since.

I say its good, since its making it thru 2 layers of roof grade metal siding a steel door and even into the far corner of the basement. :yahoo:

19. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'll be putting mine through a few loops this week... film at eleven. It's all good my friend.

20. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

All was good thru the first 6 smokes.  Now it looks like the meat probe went south.  I will test it again tomorrow to be sure it is not operator error.  This is my first Maverick and the first time I've ever had probe that went bad.  I know they are good about this, but that is probably because they know they have a problem.  I will post again with the final result.

Good luck and good smoking.