Howdy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokintexan

Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Hi,

My name is Jim and I'm in Houston. I ran across this forum searching for some techniques/recipes. I've had an MES (the one from Sam's, with the door latch etc.) for a few months now. Still working on technique with it. Now that I've figured out the thermostat is reading 30-35 too hot (based on a calibrated thermocouple) hopefully it will get better.

One question I've had is that with my old electric Brinkman, or even on my gas grill with a tinfoil packet of chips, I could get a nice pink smoke ring. No such thing on my MES. Do I need to open the vent more? More chips? Less chips? I use maybe 1 1/2 cups of hickory or mesquite chips for about 2 hours, then none for an hour. I don't use the water tray.

I'm going to try a pork butt tomorrow and am open for any recipes/suggestions!

Thanks, Jim

Hello Jim and welcome to SMF, I have yet to get a smoke ring with my MES , it just doesn't use enough wood chips to produce one , but it is a great versatile little smoker .

Thanks for the welcome. A lot of good info on here! I found Meowey's post on pulled pork and I have the pork butt all seasoned up with mustard and rub and will get it going before Santa's got his boots off. I'm going to open the vent up this time. I've been keeping it closed or nearly so thinking that would keep more smoke in, but I gather its steaming the meat more than I like. I'll watch for the color of the smoke - I now know the difference between white and blue smoke... Not sure what I'm going to do if it's white but I'm going to look for it.
I definitely need one of those probe thermometers.
Jim

Welcome to the SMF! Well for one thing if you do get the white smoke open the damper wide open and the smoke stack should stay open all the way all the time. Never close off your smoke stack vent or you'll get creosote ,which is bad tasting, bitter, black stuff you won't like. Keep that smoke thin and blue for the best tasting meat you ever had. If there is alot of white smoke just open the lid until it disapates.

Welcome to SMF! We're glad to have you with us.

I use an MES too and it turns out great pulled pork. One of the things I have changed since hanging out at this forum is the amount of wood chips I use. The instructions say to use a cup of chips but I have found that to be waaaaay too much. I use a very small handful and when the smoker is running at about 225° that has been lasting an hour and a half or longer.

Welcome to the SMF!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky