Howdy from ChiTown!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ChiTownSmoker84

Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Hey Everyone! Glad to be a part of the group! I’ve been smoking for a few years now, definitely still learning. I’ve got a Dyno-Glo Signature series upright charcoal smoker. I’ve sealed with lava tape. I use charcoal briquettes and either soaked wood chips or chunk wood. I have a dual probe thermometer, one for meat, one for grill. I have been having a hard time sustaining a good temp for more than a couple hours at a time. I use a chimney to light up the charcoal before putting it in. Usually a full basket. I adjust the intake and exhaust accordingly to try and learn how the smoker works best. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I do a few briskets a season, so I’d like to get good at temp control.

Welcome, I would stop soaking any wood, I prefer chunks , its tough chasing temps but I would get into a rhythm of adding unlit charcoal at a certain time before the temps start dropping .

Welcome from Wisconsin.

You could add a PID controller and blower to regulate your pit temp for you.

JC :emoji_cat:

Welcome from Wisconsin.

You could add a PID controller and blower to regulate your pit temp for you.

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks SO much JC. I’m a tech-savvy guy and once I started down this rabbit hole, I was super impressed! I found the Guru kits fit my smoker and comes with an app on some models to control from my phone. This will truly help my temp control issues!

Welcome to SMF!
There is a definite learning curve, when controlling temp & smoke.
After a few smokes, you’ll get the hang of it.
Al
Thanks for the response Al! I am drawn to the precise nature and culinary mastery of the craft. I am very grateful for the responses already and look forward to many years to come of my goal to become a pit master!

Hey Everyone! Glad to be a part of the group! I’ve been smoking for a few years now, definitely still learning. I’ve got a Dyno-Glo Signature series upright charcoal smoker. I’ve sealed with lava tape. I use charcoal briquettes and either soaked wood chips or chunk wood. I have a dual probe thermometer, one for meat, one for grill. I have been having a hard time sustaining a good temp for more than a couple hours at a time. I use a chimney to light up the charcoal before putting it in. Usually a full basket. I adjust the intake and exhaust accordingly to try and learn how the smoker works best. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I do a few briskets a season, so I’d like to get good at temp control.
Dang all sorts of illinois finding thier way here! Welcome from the south suburbs of chicago!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky