Howdy All

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bravery

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I'm from Jacksonville, FL. I have been reading this site for some time and I love it. It really has helped me with smoking, rubs, tricks and tips! Thank you all!!!!

Like I said before I really love this site... I just wish for one thing. I wish there was a section for abbreviations. The people on this site throw around letters like they are on WOF (Wheel of Fortune). It is really confusing and hard to understand what people are talking about.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
(The Army smile is for my nephew that is serving with a Ranger Battalion some where we think in Afghanistan)

Brad

Welcome Brad to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

I'm from Jacksonville, FL. I have been reading this site for some time and I love it. It really has helped me with smoking, rubs, tricks and tips! Thank you all!!!!

Like I said before I really love this site... I just wish for one thing. I wish there was a section for abbreviations. The people on this site throw around letters like they are on WOF (Wheel of Fortune). It is really confusing and hard to understand what people are talking about.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
(The Army smile is for my nephew that is serving with a Ranger Battalion some where we think in Afghanistan)

Brad
Just ask and you will be answered! This place is non-bashing.  
icon_cool.gif
 Check out the wiki section, its full of advice. God bless your nephew!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/acronyms

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!!! Now contact your nephew and tell him we said THANK YOU!!

SOOOOO, a Floridian?  UF,FSU, or the "U" fan?

Hello Brad, and welcome to the SMF. You're right about all the great information, tips and tricks too. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Brad to SMF.  What part of Jax for I'm on the Northside near the airport here. The nextime that you talk to your son tell him Thank You from all of us here at SMF. You know you can make him some snack sticks and sent them to him. I did it a couple of times when our son was in Iraq. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

Last edited:
Thank you all for making me feel really welcome! I live on the southside of Jacksonville (for those of you that don't know... Jacksonville is the largest city in land and 12th in population in the US). I also am a fan of the Florida Gators (though I hold no animosity towards FSU).

Thank you all for the kind thoughts for my nephew... he wanted to go hardcore, so he went Ranger... now we don't even know where or what he's doing (well I do know as a Ranger he's in the thick of it). I've never made any jerky or snack sticks before but maybe I should start. It was a really great idea. I remember when I was in the Army and oh how I got sick of the MREs (Meals Ready to Eat - the food packets the Army feeds the troops with)... I still cringe when I think of the Dehydrated pork patty (though if you had heat and water it could be made somewhat edible - back in the day there were no heating units in the MREs). So the more I think about it ... he'd love it if I made some. Now I have a mission.

Well, I also want to work on smoking a Turkey. I am really new to smoking ... I've smoked only a few slabs of ribs and my family has sworn off the local BBQ restaurants in favor of my ribs. It brings such joy to my heart when my son won't put any sauce on the ribs because they don't need it due to the tasty rub and treatment I gave them.

I just bought a new propane vertical smoker from Lowes this past weekend (still unopened) to suppliment my Char-Griller Duo propane gas and Charcoal grill (with a smoker box added on). My wife thinks I'm crazy buying a new smoker when I have another new one... but hey I'm hooked.

But, I wanted to thank you all again for the warm welcome! I have a lot to learn and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. It's nice to know that y'all are there for me... I feel a group hug coming on!

Brad

Brad, Let me add my welcome to you and a salute from this ol' soldier to your nephew.  When I was still in the Army Guard in the '80's we were still eating c-rats and the MRE's were just starting to be issued. 

Turkeys are fairly easy to do and you can do them at a higher temp (I do mine around 325°-350°).  Check out the Poultry Forum-plenty of turkey tips to be found there to help you out.

Hey Brad welcome to SMF.  Glad to have you here and my salute to your nephew. Looking forward to seeing your posts

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky