How to season a new MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nwin23

Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
Bought an MES 40” for Black Friday. Looks like it’s got gen 2.5 internals but gen 1 external (vent on top right).

also bought some pellets and the AMNPS.

now to season it. The manual says turn it on 275 for 3 hours then add wood chunks toward the end. I’ve also read to spray it with olive oil or bacon grease, etc prior to the cook.

the oil, etc doesn’t make sense because 275 isn’t hot enough for the oil to polymerize and I think that would just make a sticky mess.

but-figured I would ask here for some advice.

Just do what MES calls for they included seasoning instructions for a reason.I did it on the 2 that I had owned.Good Luck with it
Richie

Since you bought the AMNPS, I wouldn't even use the chip tray. I didnt with mine. No oil either. Before you use if for a real smoke cover the bottom drip tray and heater cover with foil. makes for easy clean up!

Reactions: zwiller
+1; I seasoned mine with 2 full trays of AMNPS so I could learn how it works. Stalled a few times. You need to hit it pretty hard and ensure you have a real good "cherry" on the pellets before it would run complete. ENJOY!

Thanks all-I didn't have a propane torch for the AMNPS so I used chunks for the first season. I accidently bought chunks and then read to use chips so I broke a bunch of the chunks down into smaller chips before putting them in the hopper. Seems to have worked just fine.

One thing is the top vent doesn't close completely. It seems I can go from 1/4 open to 3/4 open, and there's metal tabs preventing it from going any more closed/open than that. Is that normal? I know I want condensation to be able to escape from the smoker, but I figured for storing it, I would want to be able to close the vent completely. I have a cover, but just figured the vent would close all the way.

+1; I seasoned mine with 2 full trays of AMNPS so I could learn how it works. Stalled a few times. You need to hit it pretty hard and ensure you have a real good "cherry" on the pellets before it would run complete. ENJOY!

Good Advice^^^^

Bear

Thanks all-I didn't have a propane torch for the AMNPS so I used chunks for the first season. I accidently bought chunks and then read to use chips so I broke a bunch of the chunks down into smaller chips before putting them in the hopper. Seems to have worked just fine.

One thing is the top vent doesn't close completely. It seems I can go from 1/4 open to 3/4 open, and there's metal tabs preventing it from going any more closed/open than that. Is that normal? I know I want condensation to be able to escape from the smoker, but I figured for storing it, I would want to be able to close the vent completely. I have a cover, but just figured the vent would close all the way.

Yup---The old ones (8 to 10 years ago could close all the way.
Since that they close all but a little bit. They probably think it would be bad to close all the way during a smoke, so they took charge, not realizing some people might want to close theirs when not in use, to keep bugs out, at least.
I just get the right size SS sink strainer, and put it upside down over the hole.

c61e862c_DSC01488.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky