How to rest?????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

orthodoc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
Been doing this a while and my briskets are now consistently awesome tasting and moist. I have done unwrapped and found that the bark came out too good.... very crusty and hard to cut.

My standard is butcher paper an hour or so into the stall and take out when feels done, generally internal 195ish in the flat. I have been putting in a cooler/cambro in the butcher paper wrap right off the smoker. Tastes great but bark is mostly soggy.

What is the right way to rest/hold it? Do I take it out of the juicy butcher paper and let cool a bit, then re-wrap and put in cambro? Will that help keep the bark nice? Somehow the BBQ joints seem to hold the briskets for quite a while and keep the bark nice,.
THANKS

Are these prime or wagyu?
Or you adding any liquid to the wrap ?

I take mine out when probe tender and place the wrapped brisket in a pan with the thermo still inserted. Open the paper and let the temp drop 5° or so to make sure the cooking process has stopped. I personally wrap paper and all in seran wrap and place in cooler till dinner time. Don't want to lose any of the liquid gold !
Others will chime in with more options soon !

Keith

I use foil to wrap... I will wrap again with fresh foil when I take it off just so it's not so messy (the smoked foil) in the cooler and the towels ...

Wrapping is what softens the bark as this essentially braises/steams the meat ... sometimes you can tighten up the bark after wrapping by unwrapping and putting it back in the smoker for a while ...

I use paper to wrap (usually at around 180IT) and just leave it wrapped until probe tender, lately in the house oven.
We're not big fans of bark and it works for us.
No "holding". I just let it cool a bit on the counter before slicing...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky