How to make Weiswurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AM in MD

Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
I am new to sausage making and am trying to recreate the food I loved in Germany. My first attempt at Weiswurst was a disappointment.
Recipe:
500 g lean beef
500 g pork belly
30 g pork rind (boiled, cooled and ground with the above meat
ground fine (first 1/4" plate then 1/8" plate in Kitchenaid grinder)
zest from a lemon
20 g salt
20 g chopped onions
2 g white pepper
1 g ground ginger
1 g ground mace
10 g parsley
1/4 cup heavy cream.

I mixed the meat and spices in a food processor and added the cream. I got a pasty mixture that had great promise.
Once mixed I put it in the Kitchenaid sausage attachment and had trouble feeding the mixture through.
Finally got the links stuffed after great effort.

The result was a very grainy sausage that tasted ok but had terrible texture.

I have a feeling that I didn't mix the meat enough (should I have put it in a mixing bowl with a beater attachment?) and the meat got warm as I tried to force it through the sausage attachment.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciate.

I remember weiswurst from when we were in Frankfurt many years ago...loved it! In all honesty (well, kinda-sorta), I could have lived on weiswurst and jagerschnitzel.

I'll be watching this thread! :emoji_yum:

Reactions: JC in GB
I have 2 questions.
1. How cold did the meat stay when in the food processor? If it gets too warm you will break the emulsion.
2. How did you cook them? If they were cooked too hot you could have got some fat to render out and create a grainy texture. A slow and steady poach in water it the best way.

I have 2 questions.
1. How cold did the meat stay when in the food processor? If it gets too warm you will break the emulsion.
2. How did you cook them? If they were cooked too hot you could have got some fat to render out and create a grainy texture. A slow and steady poach in water it the best way.

I cannot say for certain. Once I was done grinding I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. The meat was cold but not at the freezing point. I didn't cool it again between the food processor and stuffing attachment. It was definitely getting warm while stuffing because I had so much trouble feeding it through.

Cooking was no problem. 180 degree water for 30 minutes. The cases didn't burst and the Wurst was cooked through.

Sounds to me like it was over worked . I don't try to emulsify . Taste will be the same without it .
I go with one grind . I add nfdm to the mix to help with the texture . I used all pork .
I would think you have close to 50 % fat with the pork belly . Since the beef was the same amount .
That's to much .
Not sure what the pork skin does for Weisswurst .
I poach in the SV . 140 for 3 hours . Then take the casings off .
20190801_134358.jpg 20190801_135039.jpg

I cannot say for certain. Once I was done grinding I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. The meat was cold but not at the freezing point. I didn't cool it again between the food processor and stuffing attachment. It was definitely getting warm while stuffing because I had so much trouble feeding it through.

Cooking was no problem. 180 degree water for 30 minutes. The cases didn't burst and the Wurst was cooked through.
Did you notice any fat in the water? Or foamy scummy stuff at the surface of the water? May have had a little fat render out if you did. 180° is a bit warm in my opinion. Its not boiling but still warm enough to render fat. Ive been using my souse vide as chopsaw chopsaw mentioned. It is posible that your meat got too warm in the food processor. Always keep a digital thermometer handy and keep checking the temp while processing. If it starts to climb add a few ice chips to keep the temp down.

Reactions: chopsaw
That 180 for 30 minutes is common time and temp on some of the sausage making web sites .

Recipe looks pretty close to Marianski's but his had egg in it. I vote the warm up during stuffing caused it. If you search a bit you will find that using a grinder for a stuffer is known for not working well. I imagine it was a disaster with an emulsified sausage... I like making small batches and just got a cheap jerky gun to play with. It will do 1.25lbs at a time so 2 loads for 1kg. As usual Rich chopsaw chopsaw is several moves ahead of me. No emulsify??? Reason I keep putting off running some was the thought of having to clean up the Cuisinart! WIN.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Temperature, too much fat and overworking the mixture look to be the contributing factors (just about the whole process!). New to sausage making and new to the forum but I almost feel like an expert with all the help. I'm getting a new sausage stuffer and will try again. I'll post results here, probably in a month (can't convince the wife to let me use my Christmas present early :emoji_confused:).

Reactions: crazymoon
Herstellung einer Weißwurst, einfach nur lecker. Deutsch-Englisch 500g(gram) Schweineschulter(shoulder meat) 250g(gram) Rückenspeck(back fat) 0,250ml L(liter) Milch(milk) 20g Salz(salt)10g Kartoffelpulver(potato powder) 3g Brätfibrisol 2g Pfeffer(white pepper) 1g Macisblüte(mace) 2g Zucker(raw sugar) 1g Zitronenpulver(lemon powder) 20g Zwiebeln(onions) 8-12g Petersilie(parsley) Schweinedarm oder Scharfsdarm(Pig intestine or sheep intestine)

Herstellung einer Weißwurst, einfach nur lecker. Deutsch-Englisch 500g(gram) Schweineschulter(shoulder meat) 250g(gram) Rückenspeck(back fat) 0,250ml L(liter) Milch(milk) 20g Salz(salt)10g Kartoffelpulver(potato powder) 3g Brätfibrisol 2g Pfeffer(white pepper) 1g Macisblüte(mace) 2g Zucker(raw sugar) 1g Zitronenpulver(lemon powder) 20g Zwiebeln(onions) 8-12g Petersilie(parsley) Schweinedarm oder Scharfsdarm(Pig intestine or sheep intestine)
Ich bedanke mich ganz herzlich!

Here's an update on progress!

I used the above advice to make Fleischkäse (aka Leberkäse). The texture of the grind and mix are the same as for Weißwurst,but the spices are different and it’s cooked as a loaf (like meatloaf).

It came out amazing. Fried some with onions for dinner and added Spätzle and red cabbage left over from Thanksgiving.

Next stop: Weißwurst!!

Reactions: chopsaw and zwiller
Pics or it never happened (even horrible ones like mine). :emoji_laughing: Just ran some WW this weekend and came out great. I just did a double grind and no emulsify and don't think I ever will. Heck yeah leberkase. I have a few recipes saved. Did you use cure #1? Seems like there are 2 main variations: those with cure and those using bacon. Honestly, using bacon sounds better to me.

20201127_093659_resized.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
Pics or it never happened (even horrible ones like mine). :emoji_laughing: Just ran some WW this weekend and came out great. I just did a double grind and no emulsify and don't think I ever will. Heck yeah leberkase. I have a few recipes saved. Did you use cure #1? Seems like there are 2 main variations: those with cure and those using bacon. Honestly, using bacon sounds better to me.

View attachment 472995
I did neither actually. I used a German recipe with 50% ground beef (80% lean) and ground pork, 1 kg total. I did emulsify the meat, mixing to 54 degrees F. Here are the spices:
25 g salt

.5 g cardamon

1 g nutmeg

.5 g ginger

3 g white pepper

10 g fresh onions

1 clove garlic

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky